+ Reply to Thread

Default have you ever heard of coating a porch with durabak18 like roll on liner for trucks

I have a house that was built in 1890.The front porch is 8'x40'and has tongue & groove wood the kind they don't make anymore.It is all under roof,but I have trouble with the outside edge of the wood getting wet from rain/snow blowing in,and the board edges rot and every few years I have to replace some of the wood.I have tried epoxy paint,oil base paint.Now I am thinking about this Durabak18 it is used for truck beds,boats,and lot more.They make a rough nonslip one but also a smooth product,with colors.Have anyone seen this in use over wood flooring????
    The company is thinking about looking into this area.The company is COTEL industries.www.cotelind.com

Default Re: have you ever heard of coating a porch with durabak18 like roll on liner for truc

never heard of it but if you can use something like the stuff they put on garage floors on wood I don't see why you couldn't use something similar there.

Here's the problem I see on it. the wood is going to expand and contract and that will crack the product and allow water in under it and into the groove and on the tongue. Water equals rot. There's no way to completely protect it.

Your best bet is to replace the boards with something rot resistant like trex.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: have you ever heard of coating a porch with durabak18 like roll on liner for truc

I agree with what Debby said -- over the long haul, the wood movement is likely to cause problems.
    I'm not sure why you say that the tongue & groove material is no longer available. You should still be able to get t&g decking at most lumberyards -- for example, clear vertical grain fir, which I'm guessing is probably what was used when your porch was originally built. Also, you might be happier with the resulting appearance if you go this route.

- Phil