+ Reply to Thread

Default acrylic paint removal

How do I remove a painted stencil from kitchen cabinet doors, I believe the paint is acrylic over some type of original sealant. The doors are plywood type with a dark finish and a sealant. I would like to remove the paint with minimal damage to the original finish.

Default Re: acrylic paint removal

You could try sanding away the acrylic paint. Afterwards, you'll need to apply a coat of varnish to the cabinet. You could also try a paint stripper, but keep in mind it probably won't match the cabinet exactly.
    ________
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.

Default Re: acrylic paint removal

Try gently wiping with paint thinner. If the original finish is intact, the paint thinner won't harm it, however it will soften the applied paint. Test in an inconspicuous location first before going at it. If you need something a little stronger, lacquer thinner may do the job, however you'll absolutely want to test in an inconspicuous area because if the original finish is lacquer, you'll damage it as well as remove the surface paint. If the original finish is a poly, then the lacquer thinner won't harm it. Another product that may be a little less harsh than lacquer thinner, yet stronger than paint thinner, is Goof Off. Again, before using any product, test in an inconspicuous place first.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!