+ Reply to Thread

Wink Should I replace my toilet or use an auger

I have 2 full bathrooms on the 2nd floor of a 20 years old home in Mississauga.

The toilet in one of my bathrooms on the 2nd floor are clogged a few times when we just moved in this house (only a few months ago). We figured that if we flush the toilet more frequent as we do our bm job, then it won't clog. My question : what is the cause of the clogging, the toilet or the waste pipe. Thanks

Default Re: Should I replace my toilet or use an auger

Try holding the flush handle down for more water when you flush. If that takes care of the problem then it's probably a poorly designed low flow toilet.
    It could be something in the soil pipe or a blocked vent. Check and see if any of the plumbers in your area have a snake cam. He can lower it down the vent pipe and see if there is blockage in the vent or soil pipe.
    Replacing the toilet only takes a few minutes so if you're adventuresome you could swap toilets and see if you then end up with the same problem in the other bath room.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

most wcs of this vintage are sbject to calcium buildup in the jet which is locate in the bowl, this "jet" assists in moving the solids through the integral trap,try a coat hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by alfons View Post
    most wcs of this vintage are sbject to calcium buildup in the jet which is locate in the bowl, this "jet" assists in moving the solids through the integral trap,try a coat hanger.
    Hi, I'm having a similar problem. Plumber told me it's the jet. Can you give me ANY hints on how to open it up more? Lime away? What tools? He poked at it for a while with a pick. However, I don't see the water draining well yet.

I already opened the holes under the rim, and tank fills with water well. But the toilet doesn't empty.

Thanks for any help!!

I want to add, toilet was installed in 1985. Plumber mentioned something about it using 1.5 gallons today.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhome View Post
    I have 2 full bathrooms on the 2nd floor of a 20 years old home in Mississauga.

The toilet in one of my bathrooms on the 2nd floor are clogged a few times when we just moved in this house (only a few months ago). We figured that if we flush the toilet more frequent as we do our bm job, then it won't clog. My question : what is the cause of the clogging, the toilet or the waste pipe. Thanks
    Are the two bath rooms back to back?? If they are chances are they're sharing the same soil/vent stack and if the other toilet isn't backing up or slow draining then it's a problem with the one toilet. There could be an object lodged in the drain trap of the toilet itself. As previously mentioned a plumber with a scope might be able to help or try a " snake " to see if there is something lodged.