+ Reply to Thread

Default Half power lights

I have been playing with this problem for a week. I have a 3-way switch with the power source which then goes to two can lights then to another 3-way switch. I am trying to add a light after the second switch. Ideally the new light would be controlled by a second switch, but I can live with all the lights being controlled by one switch. The biggest problem is that I cannot access the can light to actually see what is going on. Each time I try to add the new light the best I can do is to get all the lights working at half power. How can I get this to work?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Half power lights

Take a look at these drawings to see if they help. 3-way switch
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the response; I have looked at many diagrams and I am fairly sure that I am adding the new light in the correct area of power flow, but when I do I can only get the all of the lights to work at half power.

Since I canít get to the wiring in the original lights to see what is actually going on without tearing a hole in the ceiling; I was hoping that someone could give me some ideas as to why I can only get the lights to work at half power and a possible workaround.

As I delve deeper into the problem I think that some of the wires might be hooked up improperly where I canít get to them. So I am still looking for a solution.

OK, let me try to explain. If you wire 2 or 3 lights in paralell you get 120volts on all 3, if you wire 2 lights in series you drop 60volts across each one.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Now that I see this, this might be my problem. Looks like I will need to punch a hole in the ceiling to change this unless I am missing something.

I think you are missing something. You said you tried to add a light after the second switch. Are you sure you have a neutral wire going to the third light? At the second switch, how many wires are in the box? If there is only 3 wires,white, red, and black, you do not have a neutral wire available to send to the third light.