+ Reply to Thread

Post Hallway floor slanting

We have a 2 story 1907 Victorian Farm House and the upstairs hallway slants to one side. How can we fix this? The floor was like this when we moved in.

Steve

Smile Re: Hallway floor slanting

Have you checked to see if the flooring in the hallway is the same width as the hallway, and not running into another room? If so, remove all the old flooring, and bring the low side up to level with the other side. It might be the same distance out of level the entire length of the hallway. Is so, you can just shim it along the one side with a 2X, cut to the correct width.

Does this slanting continue into the next room? If so, the entire house might be settling on that side, and it is just not the hallway. Lots of these old houses were probably not level when built, so you might just have to deal with what is possible to do. If it were mine, I would look first to see if this is the only problem, or if the house has settled. If the hallway appears to be the only problem, just remove that flooring, get it level, and enjoy walking level, again. On the side, if you need additional nailing room, just faster a new joist along side the old one, making sure it is level with the other one. I am sure you will have to shim the middle joist as well, to prevent squeaking. Always use screws of sufficient length, to prevent squeaking in the future.

I have remodeled some old, old houses, and each one has a different problem. When you are done, you will be very happy. Just a little elbow grease, and saving lots of money, by doing it yourself.

Good luck.

woodworker08@gmail.com

Default Re: Hallway floor slanting

Quote Originally Posted by quinnmanor View Post
    We have a 2 story 1907 Victorian Farm House and the upstairs hallway slants to one side. How can we fix this? The floor was like this when we moved in.

Steve
    Hard to say ---- if there rooms that run off the hallway and the floors slope towards the hallway this is probably a support settling issue.
    Shimmig or leveling a floor can be tricky if they intersect doorways to other rooms. Unless you a re prepared to go all the way then you could end up with height variaitons with a lip between rooms ---- which is not good.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush