+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clay dirt

Unhappy Clay dirt

Hi,

I just recently bought a new house in south western Ohio. My backyard is basically a medeium sized backyard. But the thing is that there is patches of clay dirt everywhere. I dont know if grass will grow in the clay or to till up the patches or what. Please guide me in the right direction and give me some advice.

Chris

Smile Re: Clay dirt

I am not an expert by any means. BUT I live in northern Indiana and better than half my yard is clay dirt. I just started a new lawn in my front yard which is all clay dirt. I gave it water and that was it. It has grown in great. I think you can plant grass seed anywhere and as long as it gets water it would be ok. Hope that helps.

Smile Re: Clay dirt

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjulesneu View Post
    Hi,

I just recently bought a new house in south western Ohio. My backyard is basically a medeium sized backyard. But the thing is that there is patches of clay dirt everywhere. I dont know if grass will grow in the clay or to till up the patches or what. Please guide me in the right direction and give me some advice.

Chris
    It would be best to sod your yard. Clay soils are very dense, retain moisture, and are simply not good for growing much.
    Pat_1

Default Re: Clay dirt

If you put a fertilizer that is high in nitrogen, grass will grow. Fertilizers high in ammonium nitrate for its nitrogen will give a quick boost but will not last long. The better fertilizers use urea nitrate, it will keep it green for about three years. Hope you enjoy mowing.

Default Re: Clay dirt

I live in north florida 5 miles from the georga line and we have that famous georga clay and nothing but clay. as far as grass we have no problems. the problem for us is trying to grow fruit trees because they require a well drained soil so we have to plant them on the slope going to the creek, and mixed a high amount of sand into the clay to make sure it would drain. the one positive about having clay in your soil is that the minerals don't leach out like they would in a totally sandy soil. so if you desire to get the best of both worlds I would reccommend either tilling in compost or a combination of compost and sand to get the best of both.

Wink Re: Clay dirt

I live in Dallas Texas where there is an abundance of heavy dense black clay in my lawn. I am growing St. Augustine and I too was faced with patches of clay exposed in the back yard in various spots. My father lived in the house for seven years and neglected the backyard like no one else. There are three gigantic pecan trees in the back. Being that he was lazy about yard work. The leaves would stay in raked piles for more than a year until all that was left was a very thick layer of decomposed matter. He would then take a 210 mph backpack blower and scrub the lawn at point blank range to clean and wash the trash away. Little did he know he was removing precious topsoil the St. Augustine needed to grow. I had a feeling he had done that after thinking for weeks what in the world happened to the lawn. So I called him and asked "Did you ever aim your blower directly at the ground in the back" He replied "Ya, I sure did you gotta get all that crap outta there". OK OK sorry for the novel but I figured it would help. Many grass roots will not penetrate heavy clay unless it stays really moist. Till area 4"-6"paying careful attention not to overtill as this will result in soil that will be easily compacted later. Amend the soil with topsoil or compost and till in. If it's a large area your doing you should do a soil test and amend with necessary ingredients at this point as this will be no longer available for you at a later time. Then seed or sod and never let my father handle your lawn care!
    Last edited by remedialmofo; 09-26-2008 at 05:05 AM.