+ Reply to Thread

Default Remodel ceiling fan

I got lights in my two small bedrooms that I would like to convert to ceiling fans. I seem to remember that there was available a box and bracket specifically for this task. From what I recall, the bracket expanded to meet the ceiling joists. Anybody ever try one of these? What are they called and how sturdy are they?

Default Re: Remodel ceiling fan

Yes I have used these boxes and they look easier then they really are. That is my opinion not all may agree. If you have access to the attic I suggest you buy a box that is designed to straddle a 2x4 if the box is close to the ceiling joist. The fan is then held by the 2x4 with screws that screw through the box. If old hole close they have ceiling medallions that can cover the hole. A last resort I would use the box you are describing as I never liked using them the electrical code states the fan mush be hung independent of the ceiling box and the box it self is rated for a fan. The reason being is the fan vibrates and the screws can become loose. After awhile the screws fall out and the fan falls.

So, Raven, are you saying that it's fact that those remodel boxes are trouble for sure? I hate to think they'd sell something that is so dangerous.

No they are safe just very hard to turn the bar and mount the box from a tiny hole in the ceiling. The boxes do meet code and are safe if installed properly.
    I was describing why a standard ceiling box is not rated for fan use. sorry for the confussion