+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I use thin set over black mastic adhesive?

I recently pulled up my bathroom floor. The guy who pu it down was aparrently an idiot. (for many reasons) Anyway, there were vinyl prestick tiles over a plywood subfloor. Shortly after we moved into the house we noticed that the tiles started to buckle and the sub floor as well. A few days ago my wife called me into the room and showed me where the subfloor was buckled you could hear water squishing around under it. So I pulled the toilet and the vanity and pulled up the floor. I am thinking that since he didn't use a spacer between the closet flange and the toilet waste water was allowed to seep out and buckle the plywood subfloor and in turn buckle the tiles.
    So, I am thinking about installing ceramic tiles(with a flange spacer). Can I put thinset over the black mastic adhesive that is on the slab. I really don't want to do this job nore than once. I haven't done much with tile except repair work so can anyone tell me what my options are.

Default Re: Can I use thin set over black mastic adhesive?

i have a similar question. i pulled up three levels of tile, the lowest of which was adhered with black mastic to a concrete slab. in my case, the slab is not flat. should i install a flat durarock or try to correct with mortar? will mortar bond acceptably to the black mastic?

I asked my husband about this, and he said there shouldnt be a problem bonding mortar with the mastic.
    New homeowner in need of Hidden Content assistance.

I did find an adhesive but haven't yet tried it. I think it best to get as much off as I can.