+ Reply to Thread

Default White Stuff on basement wall

There is some kind of white stuff on basement at the lower end. Any one help me what that is. How I can get rid of it?
    Pictures are attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	975  

Talking Re: White Stuff on basement wall

White stuff is efflorescense, white salts that push through concrete from moisture. Clean off and seal, best is an epoxy waterproofer

Default Re: White Stuff on basement wall

Just wondering how much damage has been done to the wall. Is
    epoxy a paint? not sure why pervious owner has painted the wall.

Thank you

The efflorescence is there because water is entering and wetting the block. Salts then leach from the concrete and produce the substance you see.

Sealing the block on the inside is treating a symptom and not the cause. To cure the problem you need to figure out where the water comes from that is saturating the block and put an end to that.

It may be something as simple that your downspouts are dumping water to closely to the house in this area and/or that the lay of the ground near this area is pitched back toward the house instead of away from it. Or perhaps you have a sump pump which discharges its load too closely to the house. Or maybe you have a dripping sillcock.

Hopefully the source is something simple to remedy and not something more problematic/costly such as a leak in the underground water main to your house.

Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated. I examined the outside area and noticed two things 1) The slope is towards the wall + 2) Sump Pump disgard the water right by the wall.

I believe I need install extension to move the water way from the wall. I was also thing of connecting sump pump pipe to gutter. Is that OK to do?

Thank you

Taking care of the ground sloping away from the house will help alot.

Not sure what you mean by hooking up the sump pump to a gutter but you might want to look at getting an extension hose for the discharge pipe outside. The hoses are realatively cheap to purchase.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hose.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	979  

Great idea. I was thinking of connecting sump pump pipe to gutter lower end where it meets the PVC pipe (both are PVC).