+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Basic deck questions

First question is how do you know what length or width to make a deck so the last deck board doesn't need to be cut length wise?

Other question is...I am planning a deck to be just 18"-2' off the ground, what is recommended for footings?

Finally, the deck will be 16'x 5';do I have a center piece and build interior joists 8'long or what is recommended?

Default Re: Basic deck questions

You need to find out what the building code is in your area. Call your local building department. Thay can tell you what you need to do to pass an inspection.

If you have a local lumberyard (not a HD or L) they probably have a deck design program that takes into account local building codes. Ours does and will draw up a deck plan for you based on your dimensions for free if you are purchasing your materials there. The planning s/w will probably produce a materials list so you know what to buy.

As far as figuring the dimension of the deck so you don't have to rip a deck board...
    I usually lay them out and see what dimension works best for a given number of boards, the spacing between them I will be using as well as the overhang I will allow on the first and last boards.

The Trex website has a deck planner feature.
    I would think other manufacturers do as well.
    And you can change the composite product to PT southern pine if you wish. {But you must do that in your head, not the website**.