+ Reply to Thread

Default Pendant where a ceiling fan used to be

I am sure there is a simple answer to this or at least I hope. I removed a ceiling fan to install a corded pendant lamp. From the box there is a Black, white and red wire and a copper ground. I wired the red and black (box) to the black (pendant) after cutting the cord off. Then wired white(box) to white (pendant). The light stays on even if I turn the switch off. I have tried several diff. wire combos but to no avail. HELP **************************I tried all the afore mentioned wire combos and the light still stays on. I took off the plate for the light switch. There is a red and a black plugged in the back of the switch. Please help.
    Last edited by hellojack; 04-09-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: More info

Default Re: Pendant where a ceiling fan used to be

Quote Originally Posted by hellojack View Post
    I am sure there is a simple answer to this or at least I hope. I removed a ceiling fan to install a corded pendant lamp. From the box there is a Black, white and red wire and a copper ground. I wired the red and black (box) to the black (pendant) after cutting the cord off. Then wired white(box) to white (pendant). The light stays on even if I turn the switch off. I have tried several diff. wire combos but to no avail. HELP
    The ceiling fan probably had separate switches for the fan and light. Use only the black wire and cap the red
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 04-06-2008 at 05:50 PM.

i tend to agree with that, but was waiting for more info as to the amount of switches controlling the former device, etc....

The white wire will go to the white wire on the fixture. The black is almost always hot all the time. The red wire should be connected to the black on the light fixture. This wire is typically the switched conductor.

What I always found is that you have to look in the switch box as well as the lighting box to see how it was originally wired up. Sounds like one of the wires (probably the black one) was wired to be constant hot. Take a look.

I tried all the afore mentioned wire combos and the light still stays on. I took off the plate for the light switch. There is a red and a black plugged in the back of the switch. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor86 View Post
    What I always found is that you have to look in the switch box as well as the lighting box to see how it was originally wired up. Sounds like one of the wires (probably the black one) was wired to be constant hot. Take a look.
    I tried all the afore mentioned wire combos and the light still stays on. I took off the plate for the light switch. There is a red and a black plugged in the back of the switch. Please help.

Sounds like it's time to pull out the voltage tester and start tracing wires and pick up a basic electrical wiring book to help figure out what type of circuit you have.

You're either missing some wires somewhere or you're not telling us exactly what's in the boxes. How many wires, capped, nutted together and attached to the switch are there in the switch box? How many wires are, capped, nutted, or otherwise present at the ceiling fixture?

If this is a single pole light circuit there will be one hot wire in either the switch box or the ceiling box. This hot wire will travel to the switch first, the from the switch to the light fixture and control the lamp. White is neutral and will be bundled together in the ceiling box with a pig tail to the fixture. The switch will not utilize a neutral leg, any white wires in a switch box should be bundled and capped together with the exception of IF the white is being used as the traveler from the switch to the light fixture, and IF this is the case, then the wire should be recoded with black electrical tape from the bare conductor back to the bundle housing (plastic sheath that all the wires are bundled in ) at both the switch and the light fixture.

IF this is a 3-way circuit, a circuit that utilizes two switches to control the same light, then things will be slightly different. The red will act as a traveler from one switch to the other and the black operates the light fixture. I can't be more specific on this because 3-ways are not my strong suit and I must refer to my wiring manual to do them.

In the ceiling box disconnect the black wire from the light fixture. Then put a wire nut on it and roll it back in the box un-connected to anything. Then re-connect the black wire to the black on the fixture wire. Connect the white wire to the white wire on the fixture. That should work. Make sure the the light switch is marked with a on and off on the toggel. If it isn't then it might be a three way. If that is the case come back and ask about three ways. Good luck and let us know

I'm going to guess that you have another cable in the box which has black and white, if so this may be the way it is wired
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights[4].jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	988  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb