+ Reply to Thread

Default need some advice on my garage gap (with pics)

Within the last 3 years it seems the gap is getting worse. When the garage is closed the center touches and the corner section of the driveway seems to be sinking, this is where the garage door sits on and not the floor slab. I put a new seal on the bottom of the garage door and that helped a little but I'm not sure what to do with it.

sorry not a picture taking kinda guy.

http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000178ij2.jpg

http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000180sd2.jpg

From inside the garage:
    http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000179mv1.jpg

http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000181mn9.jpg

you can see from the original paint how much it has dropped in the last few years.
    http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000182wd8.jpg
    Last edited by ALLiED; 04-05-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: adding a extra pic

Default Re: need some advice on my garage gap (with pics)

What I see is something that we never do here.....which is to have the garage door close on the driveway instead of on the garage slab. IOW, our floor slabs always extend thru the doorway.

I'm also seeing wall framing lumber that is buried in the garage slab and door jamb lumber buried in the driveway material. We wouldn't do that either. It's an invitation to some heavy rotting that will leave those members with no bearing support.

Consequently, I get the impression that perhaps a shot of concrete was poured over the old/orignal slab floor and similar on the driveway. This would explain why the lumber is buried. The inside perhaps because the original floor was spalling or cracking and *maybe* on the outside because the original was settling the same as the new overlay.

Can't see too much in the pics as regards water shedding, but if water is directed toward these areas of the drive because of the lay of the ground and/or where downspouts discharge....this could be the culprit causing the drive settling problem. Too much water under the drive slab will undermine the slab and yearly freeze-thaw cycles will only exacerbate the settling problem.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 04-05-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Default Re: need some advice on my garage gap (with pics)

I would do a temporary fix to give you time to determine if there will be additional sinking in the future.

It's a rather simple matter to remove the new seal you just bought & cut some long strips of angled wood from a new piece of pressure treated or regular 2 X 4 X 8' (or however long the garage door is).

Attach these to the bottom of the door with short-length deck screws or galvanized screws (drill smaller diameter pilot holes first to avoid cracking the wood), paint the wood to match, then replace the seal.

In other words, you want to cut 2 long "triangles" out of a piece of new lumber that will follow the current drop on either side of the door.

The attached strips are painted to match the door color & the seal is re-attached.

This should give you a tight close to the door---you have to do something like this to keep out rodents, etc., who see this as a wide open door.

Photo 354 (the 2nd photo) seems to be the clincher---it shows a very heavy brick side wall (I assume it's the same on the other side) and a large crack on the driveway concrete.

It's obvious the weight of the 2 side-walls with the brick & whatever else has pressed down & cracked the driveway concrete.

Many garage walls are made completely of wood and thus exert much less force on the soil than what you have.

There may have been an inadequate footing placed under the side-walls, or it was placed on unstable ground, etc., or as ****hiller suggests, water is washing away the supporting soil.

Since it's occuring on both sides, I would suspect it is due to settling on both sides, which may or may not continue.

Run the garden hose around the exterior of the garage door & watch the water flow patterns---take some additional steps to divert as much runoff as possible away from the garage front area in case water is the culprit.

If the walls continue to settle, something like mud-jacking or structural jacking may have to be done in the future to get things back to plumb.

If the side walls are made of brck, concrete or concrete block, see if you can see any diagonal cracks anywhere along the walls, but especially near the front of the garage--this would further indicate ground support problems near the front of the garage.

But for now, the low-cost fix seems adviseable.

Another idea is to consult the yellow Pages under "garage" the jobbers & garage parts suppliers have all kinds of lower garage seals of various thicknesses.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 04-06-2008 at 09:46 AM.