+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Period Lighting

Hybrid View

Red face Period Lighting

I recently purchased a 1927 bungalow that was remodeled in the '70's. Most if not all of the historic charm has been removed. I am attempting to recreate some of the original character and am having a hard time locating lighting fixtures that represent the era. Any suggestions? I live in a small town with little to no resources for home fixtures, so I will most likely have to find something ******? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Period Lighting

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you want truly authentic lighting, although at higher prices than the big box stores, here are a couple that I shop at in the city I live in, and I have a craftsman style home that I'm updating to period style:

Rujuvenation.com makes old house parts of all types. They are expensive, but everything I've purchased there is top of the line

ALso, Schoolhouse Lighting has some great period fixtures as well.

I would avoid Lamps Plus if possible- I recently bought two fixtures, each over $300 and both are falling apart after only one year (Tiffany style- the glass is coming apart).

Good Luck!

Smile Re: Period Lighting

Last edited by sparks; 08-24-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    sparks

Talking Re: Period Lighting

Why not try having Solatube Skylights installed to highlight the interior of your reconstruction. That way you can concentrate on the touchy feely reconstruction items and have the overall area custom lighted by the sun, incorporating green building.

It's been my experience that lighting fixtures, even from on-line vendors are very expensive; this goes double for original period pieces.

I would suggest you consult the Yellow Pages under "Salvage Yards", Flea Markets", "Building Demolition", "Demolition Companies", etc.

There's a treasure trove of original period pieces that can be refurbished by a handy diy'r, that you won't find anywhere else.

They are usually sold at a much reduced price as well.

Also go to the reference desk of your local library & ask for the Yellow Pages of the largest city closest to you, if you can't find any local vendors.