+ Reply to Thread

Smile recirculation pump on demand

I have a recirculation pump on my hot water heater for instant hot water; however, it runs continuously and I suspect this wastes lot of energy; I placed a timer on this but when you need hot water and pump is not on, no hot water can be obtained. Does anyone know of a valve that would trigger the recirculation pump on when a hot water faucet is turned on. Thanks feel free to e-mail me directly with response
    ghcgolfer@msn.com

Default Re: recirculation pump on demand

I have a recirculation pump on my hot water heater for instant hot water; however, it runs continuously and I suspect this wastes lot of energy; I placed a timer on this
    If you were to have a timer controlling the pump then you should be setting that timer for when you are not at home .... this would be the greatest waste. The timer would be set for around the time you would get home from work and for a duration you're at home . Then have it shut down during the night when your sleeping with it turning back on before waking in the morning. This would be my thinking of how to use the timer.

but when you need hot water and pump is not on, no hot water can be obtained
    I'm not quite sure how your pump is plumbed .... the way I would have it would be only as a by-pass so if the pump were not on or failed you would still have hot water available .... the original method without a pump.

In my thinking it should never impede water flow if the pump is not on.

Does anyone know of a valve that would trigger the recirculation pump on when a hot water faucet is turned on
    Perhaps it's just me that's confused here ..... so the pump would be off ... which would be the same as not having the recirculating and wouldn't give hot water any quicker so I don't see an advantage there.

But then you want to turn on the pump and let it run for how long and shut off how?

It's possible there might be a controller to detect flow and turn on the pump with some sort of timer function to turn it off ....I'm not sure .

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by canuk; 04-06-2008 at 12:27 AM.

Talking Re: recirculation pump on demand

I did some research and found the Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve that is pump free, creates no noise, and uses no electricity! It automatically opens and closes based upon your desired temperature setting! It saves time and energy while also saving water! No more wasting water down the drain while waiting for hot water!

The Hot Water Lobster is only $179.95, has a 10-year warranty, uses your existing plumbing, and is very easy to install. It only took me 10 minutes. I bought one for my home and another for my cottage. It is great that I can keep my furnace off at the cottage during winter and not worry about my pipes freezing! I've had both units for 3 years now and am very impressed.

Here's their site:
    www.hotwaterlobster.com
    Last edited by mrtony_357; 04-30-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Misspelling