+ Reply to Thread

Smile New Shop Configuration

I have a new 30 x 60 foot building I'm going to put up and just wanted to hear from some people from their vast experiences. What would you do if you had to do it all over again? and "Whats the best configuration for tools around the shop" ie. where to put the assembly table and main workbench in relation to the planer, drum sander or spindle sander, Drill press, bandsaw, lathe, etc. Any help would be appreciated! I have an Idea on how it should go but would like input from people with more experience.

Thanks,

Rocks56
    Last edited by Rocks56; 04-04-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wrong size of building

Default Re: New Shop Configuration

Probably the best laid out shop I have been in (though way to small ) was a furniture makers home shop, oddly enough it was probably about the same 30'x60' that you're planning. He had a chopsaw and 6' belt sander (edge sander ) on one wall, followed by the bandsaw and a drilling machine. The tablesaw was in the middle of the room with an out feed table/work surface behind it. Just in front of the saw and to the right was the drill press. Along the right wall was the planer (moved out for used, pushed back for storage ) the joiner, and a lathe. Between the lathe and the back wall was an assembly area which was saw horses with some 4x4 spanned between them.

It's my personal preference to have the joiner near the saw so that the edge of a board can be dressed quickly and easily while ripping on the saw. Set up a table of at least 16' long with the chopsaw in the middle of it, make the table longer if you have the space. Something else that incorporates well into the chopsaw table is a radial arm saw for larger crosscuts than what a chopsaw can handle, unless it's a sliding compound, then you're good. It's important to have enough infeed and outfeed space on the tablesaw for lengths up to 16'. My saw is on rollers, so I can move it as necessary for longer materials, however I have the ability to rip 8' material without moving the saw at all.

If you're going to have central dust collection, you'll want to locate the dust collector where it won't be in the way and yet still be easily accessed to empty it. Include a floor sweep to ease general cleaning. A floor sweep is just a "dustpan" that's attached to the system. Because the tablesaw ends up being an "island", I recommend either not hooking it up to the collection system at all, or make sure you can easily swing a collection hose to it as needed. Unless you're doing a serious amount of ripping, the saw really doesn't need to be on the collection system, though it can help reduce the dust that the saw spews into the air. Speaking of dust in the air, allot for an air purification system as well. This can be as simple as a pleated furnace filter strapped to a box fan, or a more elaborate home made unit, to a commercially produced unit.

You might try to also create a dust free room where you can do all your finishing. A 30x60 shop sounds pretty big, but as you start placing the equipment and see just how much space the items take with ample room to move around, assemble projects, apply finishes, etc, you'll see just how quickly that shop will shrink.

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

I would have an office area, dust free as much as possible, A separate finishing room. and most of the tools and assembly tables mobile.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    and most of the tools and assembly tables mobile.
    Jack
    I agree, it's what I've done out of necessity due to working in a confined space, so tools must be pulled out to use, the pushed back out of the way. You can get away with a much smaller space and reconfigure as necessary as immediate needs arise. There are also a lot of tools that don't get all that much use yet require a lot of space when they are used, a planer is one such tool.

Also, don't forget about material storage. All that extra material, cuts, scrap, and shorts tend to add up quickly.

I would have an office area, dust free as much as possible, A separate finishing room. and most of the tools and assembly tables mobile.
    Jack
    I was thinking the exact same thing. LOL
    New homeowner in need of Hidden Content assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Also, don't forget about material storage. All that extra material, cuts, scrap, and shorts tend to add up quickly.

Now you're talking about another 30X60 building.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Now you're talking about another 30X60 building.
    Jack
    Oh so very true! LOL

When I moved into my current house I built an 8x24 shed along side the garage for materials, and the space is full! In all fairness, my materials are sharing the space with the gardening supplies and equipment, but still, even if the whole space were mine it would be too small.

Thanks guys for all the good info, much appreciated. You all have been very helpful.