+ Reply to Thread

Default adding another window

We have an old, large single pane picture window. This window is the most important window that allows us to see the ocean view. It is very cold and windy here during the winter. We have recently purchased a window that is somewhat smaller than the existing pane size. Instead of removing the existing window, which is very heavy and difficult to dispose of, we want to attach the new window frame to an old window’s glass pane. The new Anderson window is wood frame inside and outside is a vinyl. I am planning to attach the vinyl to the existing single pane surface, hoping to reduce any air getting inside. However, I am concerned that it may still create moisture between the new and the old windows, and thus no longer have the view of the ocean. I am not sure as to what type of adhesive will prevent moisture. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by ocean house; 04-04-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: further clarication....

Default Re: adding another window

In my opinion there's nothing you could use to prevent moisture from getting in there. I am assuming that the existing window frame is wood and eventually the wood will wick a little moisture into that cavity. Double pane windows have gas, argon I think between them to sort of pressurize them.

Creating the double pane as you suggested won't have the same effect.

I wish I had a solution for you. I lived with a window like that the view wasn't nearly as nice as yours but it was wonderful for my African Violets and orchids. Yes it was cold over there but they didn't complain.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: adding another window

You really need to give up the idea of attaching a new window to the old window glass with an adhesive. This is not the proper way to install a window. Even if you could do this it would not look good. And it would not provide the thermal performance you want. So take the old window out. You can leave the old window frame in place and install a window insert. You will lose a little bit of glazing area but you will probably not even notice it.

I’d be concerned about using a large vinyl window. Vinyl expands 7 times faster than glass. This can lead to seal failure between the double panes of glass which will cause condensation and fogging between the panes.

I toured “Renewal by Anderson” in Cottage Grove, MN, last month and the tour guide (a Renewal engineer) told of a townhouse complex where they were replacing all the original vinyl windows with Anderson replacements because the original vinyl window already had problems. The windows were less than 5 years old.

You get what you pay for. Check the warranty on the vinyl window you bought. If it is not a good warranty they the window manufacturer is not confident the window will last.

I did extensive research on windows recently and in my opinions the best option for a window is either a composite (wood-fiber material) or a wood window with vinyl or aluminum cladding on the exterior.