+ Reply to Thread

Default basement flooding

Please help! For about the last year we have dealt with flooding issues. The water comes up through the unfinished basement/cellar floor. We have lived here for 10 years and so I doubt we are on a water table. We have had at least 5 plumbers, 3 foundation guys, and yard drainage people come out.

The first plumber who we used to have a contract with insisted it was not a plumbing issue. After that we found the drainage pipe to the washer, sink, and dishwasher was disconnected under the porch. Various other interior drainage issues were found and recently we got the whole sewer line replaced. There was hole in the pipe and 33 ft out it was clay which was filled with roots.

This did not solve the problem though and at first made it worse. I've fixed the downspouts in the back of the house, but that hasn't helped either.

It still could be a drainage issue since our yard is all dirt, weeds, and not sloped properly? It could be the gutter downspouts and drainage pipes were not installed properly? It could be the fact that our neighbor doesn't have gutters and his house is about 5 feet from our cellar?

We are getting an addition soon and hopefully something can be done during that process. Any ideas... I'm tired of stressing out at the slightest hint of rain!

Default Re: basement flooding

Do you have sump pump? you may consider to install sump pump.

Thank you

Yes, we do have one. Unfortunately, it's further away from where the water comes in and typically we get the water out before it gets there. Maybe I'm looking for the magic cure, but I'd rather find the source and fix it and not just use the sump pump as a band aid. I may be crazy, but I really believe it is soil (clay) and a lousy yard. The back yard will definitely be taken care of after the addition by the contractor. As far as the front and soggy side with the neighbor... well we'll figure out something if fixing the back doesn't help.

It is expensive, but there is a solution that comes with a 25 year guarantee. There is a system that requires you to expose the foundation walls down to the footing and install a special fabric over waterproofing on the walls with a curtain drain at the footing. Water runs down the fabric and gathers at the curtain drain, where it is drained away, either out to a storm drain, the side of a hill, or pumped through a sump pump.

Hello, it sounds odd but your problem can be solved by installing another sump pump (the area where you need it) or move the one you have to location where you really need.

Short of having the neighbor install gutters on his home, I would do a couple of things: First, if you don't have extensions on your down spouts to route water away from your foundation, put them on. Second, since your neighbor's house is so close to yours and he doesn't have gutters, I would either install a french drain or, to save money, install a concrete lined drainage ditch between the two houses so that runoff from his roof could be diverted away from your foundation. That said, there are other possibilities. You said your basement floor is unfinished. Does that imply the walls are? If so, have you thought of the possibility of cracks in the walls? We had water coming up in our basement and it looked as if it were seeping up from the floor, but it turned out to be cracks in the walls which we chipped out, filled and sealed. We have a dry basement now. Hope some of this has been helpful. Good luck!

Cool Yep, thanks, thats good idea.

I tried some possibilities ( etc.) but with no success.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Angelina Jolie Johnny Depp Al Pacino Brad Pitt site Robert De Niro

Tackle this systematically.

First, prevent water from entering your basement. Tackle gutters, downspouts, sewer, and kitchen/bath drains, making sure they're in good shape (you've done much of this.) Direct rain water toward the lowest point on your property or toward the sewer, if legal. Compel your neighbor to take care of their gutters, directing to their lowest property point .. pay for it yourself if you must.

Second, upgrade the earth's natural ability to handle ground water by spreading good, airable soil with compost, then planting grass, plants, and ground cover with healthy root systems to suck up water and impede the speed with which it soaks down to your foundation. The more man-made surface (side walks, terraces, driveways) you have, the more you concentrate water onto what soil is left and the harder it is for nature to help you. Replace walkways with stepping stones, consider a permeable driveway surface, etc.

Third, decide upon a basement drain system for what water still gets in. You can go expensive (a french drain system - a perforated "gutter" installed below the footer, preferably outside the foundation, but feasible if installed from the basement side which flows to a sump bucket which is then pumped out to yard or sewer) or cheap (sumps (buckets) and pumps.)

We had a similar situation here. The neighbor had poor gutters/downspouts, was 4 feet from our house, and complained of a wet basement, also. They were slightly downhill of us. I helped her repair downspouts and direct water out from between the two houses, then took the cheapest quote of $3600 to install an internal french drain in a 20'x45' basement and we then successfully finished the basement. Since she was downhill from use, we dug a trough across her backyard with her permission, and layed drainage pipe across our yard to her lowest point. We merged both our gutter systems into this and sent it away from our two houses. If going with a french drain, be sure to install access ports strategically (either at corners, or center of long straight runs) for annual cleanout.

Good luck.