+ Reply to Thread

Default Help-need new stem assembly in 2 bathrooms

Our bathrooms are back to back w/ all the plumbing in the shared wall. The access panel is worthless - it does not provide any access to that point at all.

We have talked to 4 plumbers at this point about it.

The first said they could just convert our 3 stem system to a 1 stem w/ little damage to the tile & a large faceplate behind to cover the holes. This sounded like a great option instead of having to knock huge holes throught the tile to get into the wall. The price quoted seemed very high so I called 2 other plumbers for quotes as well.

The 2nd came out & saw what we needed & never called me back w/ a quote. So..I figured if they don't want your work, they aren't going to show up to do it & moved on.

The 3rd gave me a quote which seemed more reasonable to us & he said he had expereince in our development & the houses there. So...he came out to do the work & then decided he had to make a hole through the tile & so he had to go buy tile & that would take all day & so he would have to schedule for another day. Then he called w/ an excuse the day he was supposed to do the work.

So...we called a contractor friend who got us in touch w/ a 4th plumber. They came out, did some other work w/in hrs (although the price they quoted was not the final - despite my asking for a full price, they only told me parts & didn't include labor which bugged me). SAid they had to get me a quote on the baths as that was something they rarely did. No call back yet on the price. And...they would knock out some tiles but not replace them - I have to find someone to do a 2x2 square.

I am at a loss. In the time we have expended, our one hot water stem has stripped so now has to be turned via pliers. The other bathroom can't be used due to a leaking stem. And...I don't see light at the end of the tunnel.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Help-need new stem assembly in 2 bathrooms

If the two showers are "back to back" with only the "wet wall" seperating the two, I would cut a 2'x 2'(size depending on the tile size and available studs/blocking in the wall) opening in one shower for access to both sides, replace the valve on the far side,seal old holes, cover with oversized plate, selal old holes from back side, then replace the valve on the near side, patch the wall and replace the tile, grout and seal.

This is going to be an expensive job, use the most reputable plumber you can find. A penny saved may cost you big headaches later.

Have you ever heard of a company called Bath Fiter. They can do the entire job and instead of replacing the tile they cover the entire wall with acrylic. They can do the entire job in one or two days.

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by kimmelsm View Post
    Our bathrooms are back to back w/ all the plumbing in the shared wall. The access panel is worthless - it does not provide any access to that point at all.

We have talked to 4 plumbers at this point about it.

The first said they could just convert our 3 stem system to a 1 stem w/ little damage to the tile & a large faceplate behind to cover the holes. This sounded like a great option instead of having to knock huge holes throught the tile to get into the wall. The price quoted seemed very high so I called 2 other plumbers for quotes as well.

The 2nd came out & saw what we needed & never called me back w/ a quote. So..I figured if they don't want your work, they aren't going to show up to do it & moved on.

The 3rd gave me a quote which seemed more reasonable to us & he said he had expereince in our development & the houses there. So...he came out to do the work & then decided he had to make a hole through the tile & so he had to go buy tile & that would take all day & so he would have to schedule for another day. Then he called w/ an excuse the day he was supposed to do the work.

So...we called a contractor friend who got us in touch w/ a 4th plumber. They came out, did some other work w/in hrs (although the price they quoted was not the final - despite my asking for a full price, they only told me parts & didn't include labor which bugged me). SAid they had to get me a quote on the baths as that was something they rarely did. No call back yet on the price. And...they would knock out some tiles but not replace them - I have to find someone to do a 2x2 square.

I am at a loss. In the time we have expended, our one hot water stem has stripped so now has to be turned via pliers. The other bathroom can't be used due to a leaking stem. And...I don't see light at the end of the tunnel.

Any suggestions?
    I tend to agree mostly but im still not sure I understand everything here

As a licensed plumber I do think that some of these "professioanls" are questionable. And as someone who in the past has bitten off more than I can chew, you will not like my suggestion. Just like cleaning your desk of Amazon Jungle of paperwork or cleaning the Mt. Everest pile of dirty dishes the only way it to start at the beginning. I think the best way is to open up one of the walls in the bathroom you use the the least. And from there you will be able to fix both of the shower vales with new ones (about $60-100 each) and you will only have to re-tile one of the bathroom tubs. I know this doesn't sound very helpful, but fighting with the materials and people who install them is going to be very frustrating. Make it easy on yourself. Good luck. Process of elimination.