+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Under Deck Ceiling

We have a walkout basement that leads to a stamped concrete patio underneath our deck. What is the best inexpensive underdecking that I can purchase and install myself?

Default Re: Under Deck Ceiling

pvc boards, metal sheeting, plastic roofing with a gutter on the far edge
    Debby in Oklahoma

I have seen two different products on the market that will do just that. Both were PVC, but sorry not inexpensive.
    Can't recall either product name, but it might just be on that world wide web I've heard so much about...

Or you could look at soffit material ... aluminum or vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Or you could look at soffit material ... aluminum or vinyl.
    Most people will get annoyed at the occasional dripper.
    Even if you tell them in writing it will happen.
    But I agree it is a great choice when cost is an issue.

Talking Re: Under Deck Ceiling

I thought I might attempt to use 12" wide solid vinyl soffit. I have a 12' x 20' deck, and soffit conveniently comes in 12' sections. First, I would rip some 2x4s into pieces of varying thickness. I would attach them to the underside of the deck running perpendicular to the joists (parallel to the house). The thinnest one would be closest to the house, and the thickest one would be furthest away. They would be spaced about 2' apart. This is to create a slope away from the house. The soffit pieces would be installed parallel to the joists (perpendicular to the house). The soffit would collect the rain and drain it into a gutter on the low end, away from the house. I figure it might cost between $200 - $300 for my 12'x20' deck. I'm hoping that when things fall through the deck, I should be able to pry the soffit pieces apart to clean out the area above it."
    "As for my soffit idea, it is possible to pry the pieces apart and let them "flop down" for cleaning and access to the space above them. I was thinking of attaching them with screws instead of nails to allow them to be completely removed if necessary."

This would be cheaper than $6.50 a square foot for something like the underdeck system. Of course, mine might not work as well.
    DIY Home tip - “Your life will be no better than the plans you make and the action you take. You are the architect and builder of your own life, fortune, destiny.”

007Builder,

I, too, have been considering the use of vinyl soffit for the under deck drainage application you mentioned. Could you advise whether you tried it and what the results are? My job is a new one and I have even contemplated using wider joists and tapering them to acheive the slope. Your further comments would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 007builder View Post
    I thought I might attempt to use 12" wide solid vinyl soffit. I have a 12' x 20' deck, and soffit conveniently comes in 12' sections. First, I would rip some 2x4s into pieces of varying thickness. I would attach them to the underside of the deck running perpendicular to the joists (parallel to the house). The thinnest one would be closest to the house, and the thickest one would be furthest away. They would be spaced about 2' apart. This is to create a slope away from the house. The soffit pieces would be installed parallel to the joists (perpendicular to the house). The soffit would collect the rain and drain it into a gutter on the low end, away from the house. I figure it might cost between $200 - $300 for my 12'x20' deck. I'm hoping that when things fall through the deck, I should be able to pry the soffit pieces apart to clean out the area above it."
    "As for my soffit idea, it is possible to pry the pieces apart and let them "flop down" for cleaning and access to the space above them. I was thinking of attaching them with screws instead of nails to allow them to be completely removed if necessary."

This would be cheaper than $6.50 a square foot for something like the underdeck system. Of course, mine might not work as well.
    I've done the exact method you've described - only slightly different.

What I've done was also bend a piece of metal at the furthest point away from the deck to act as a rain gutter. Just as you would underneath soffits. Except, I didn't stop at just bending a 90 degree, I also put a slight 10 degree up bend to catch the rain.
    For all of you Hidden Content needs in Massachusetts & RI
    If you're in need of a new Hidden Content or Hidden Content click here.
    Or if you looking for new Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thats a great idea deckbuilder!

Hey Guys, I'm so glad I found this thread. I been trying to figure out how to keep the paver patio under my deck dry so I can stack my firewood there for the winter.
    Without spending 2,00.00 I don't have.
    How are you attaching the soffit material to the joists. Are you using a j channel like they say for a standard application?
    I've never done any work with soffits and siding so I apologize if this is something obvious.
    Also how are you hanging the gutter at the end?