+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawfish

Angry Crawfish

Help I have crawfish living in my lawn. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of those ugly pesty little creatures?

Default Re: Crawfish

Eat Them?

If you have crawfish in your yard , then you have a drainage problem . They don't live in dry areas .

How many " mounds " are we talking about ? From what I can tell , there are no registered chemicals
    used to treat that sort of problem . Some home remedies include calcium carbide , mothballs , or just plain " stomping the mound flat " .

For fun , give a kid a piece of string with a little bit of hot dog and let them " fish " for them .
    Last edited by djohns; 04-02-2008 at 06:50 PM.

This thread got me thinking back to some time ago. I went to a local reservoir on a warm Sunday afternoon to read under the only big cottonwood on the shore of the lake.

Well, here comes this extended Vietnamese family in all age ranges. They asked in very broken English if it would be okay to set up their picnic by me. Iím thinking, hey, why ask me. Itís not my lake. I nodded that it was fine with me. I acted as though I was reading but I was much more curious to see what they were up to on this picnic of theirs.

The men sat back in the shade and talked among themselves while the women set up the picnic and an ancient propane burner stove. Mean while, all the kids went down to the riprap shore line with a five gallon bucket and each had a string. I finally figured out that they were catching crawdads, having a blast, and filling the bucket with them.

The women had set a very large pot of water to boil on the stove and pretty soon they poured all those crawdads in that pot of water. I was kind of fascinated by the whole affair and interaction of the family.

So, to top this whole thing off, here comes one of the women with a paper plate loaded with cooked crawdads, cold rice and these very small chilies that must be the hottest chilies I have ever eaten.

Those crawdads were pretty good and Iíll never forget the experience of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    Did you eat the whole thing or just the tails? I think the hot sauce covered up the real taste.
    I see you'r from Ohio . That explains it .

Yeah, some of those little boogers can taste rather muddy!

i've got a great crawfish etouffe recipe if you'd like it...

Great story, Kent! You were very gracious to eat what she brought you, and generous on their part. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
    i've got a great crawfish etouffe recipe if you'd like it...
    Is that the one with the Brown Recluse chutney?

LOL! Actually, I prefer them toasted.. get that nice crunch action going there...

Quote Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
    LOL! Actually, I prefer them toasted.. get that nice crunch action going there...
    I was hoping that you'd remember that conversation. don't forget the chianti ...

LOL!!! I can't believe you'd remember it!
    I still hate those crawly things - but rejoice every time I see any other kind of spider around, because that means few browns.

I still warn everyone I know about cedar shake.. for anyone who doesn't know it yet, the Brown Recluse loves cedar shake roofs and cedar shake siding. (shudder..!)