+ Reply to Thread

Default attic insulation

My son bought a 1950s ranch. Above the ceiling (stapled in cardboard like tiles) and furring strips the attic has some kind of black fabric like paper (different from roofing felt) then a layer of 3+/- in. fiberglass insulation with the facing on top and a layer of blown in cellulose to the top of the 2x6s. I know the fiberglass should not have been installed with the craftpaper up, here in VT. The walls in the house are 8'. We are thinking of installing a new sheetrock ceiling below the existing cardboard like tiles with 4 mil poly above the sheetrock as a moisture barrier. I can't feel any moisture in the insulation except where there is a known leak at some roof flashing. We are planning to add an additional 12" of insulation. Is this workable or will it cause problems that I am not aware of.

Default Re: attic insulation

I would assume that because of the tar paper and the craft paper side up there might have been a previous moisture problem. If the moisture problem returns you then you open yourself up for mold. That could be a real problem.... In my opinionI would fix what is wrong first then drywall.

Default Re: attic insulation

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    I would assume that because of the tar paper and the craft paper side up there might have been a previous moisture problem. If the moisture problem returns you then you open yourself up for mold. That could be a real problem.... In my opinionI would fix what is wrong first then drywall.
    No apparent moisture problems not related to actual roof leaks. Kind of tough to dig out 6 inches of insulation consisting of about 3 in each of upsidedown craft faced fiberglass and blown in celulose in a 26x46 6 pitch attic. Anyone have a giant vaccum? What about using a long tined rake in each bay to shred the craft paper between the 2 insulating materiels.