+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Bathtub to shower conversion

In my manufactured home the sides of the bathtubs are very high and I am a young 68 years old and cannot because of an injury in the 90's lift my leg up over this very high side to get in and take a shower. My son thinks that he may be able to use his saw-z-all to cut the side down and leave enough of a lip for a water level while taking a shower. His only problem in trying to find out how to seal the edges where he will cut the sides. He thinks maybe he can have a fibeglass man that does jet skis close the opening where the cut is so I can finally take a shower again. The units at the local home store are way out of my price range as I am on limited income. Do you think that the fibeglass repair that they do on jet skis will seal and work on this unit? Both tubs in the house have enclosures, but I can forgo any enclosure if I can have a chance to shower and get clean again. The units at the home store just slide in after the removal of the old unit, but are way too expensive. Please any help on this if you have done this kind of thing please send advice.
    Last edited by twinsgram; 04-02-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Default Re: Bathtub to shower conversion

It sounds like it would work to me.

Good luck and congratulations for aging in place.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I have some experience with Jet Ski fiberglass repair and it certainly would be a similar repair on a fiberglass tub. I would suggest creating some kind of wire or wood support to provide some structure for the fiberglass to adhere to, and then shape the fiberglass so it appears similar to the shape of the existing tub sides so it all blends together.
    Another option would be to purchase a tub/shower unit that has a door. I don't what the prices are just that I have seen them advertised.

Edit:I re read your e mail and saw that you said the models in the store were not in the budget. Sorry. Also, I am not sure how easily the tub finish could be matched. Fiberglass can certainly be painted so I guess the fiberglass man could hopefully find some similar paint and blend in the repair.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Eric1435; 04-02-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Mis read initial thread

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    It sounds like it would work to me.

Good luck and congratulations for aging in place.
    Thanks Debby. I am not sure what you meant by aging in place, but I do know the congratulations part. I just hope maybe with my dilemma here for the tub to shower conversion that maybe someone else might have the same idea. You know with the economy anymore it's hard for most people to afford the ready-made units at the home stores.

I have done alot of tub to shower conversions and there are a few thing you need to know before you start. In manufactured homes the tubs are sometimes installed with the bottom of the tub not resting on the floor. I have found drain lines as well as supply lines in the skirt of the tub and even electric wires. Be very careful when you cut. Remember that the people in moble home plants are paid piece rate. That means they are apt to do whatever it takes to get the job done right or wrong. So procede with caution.

Thank you for your help. I know the plumbing fixtures are of the cheapest grade they could install. I only wish I had been informed better when I was looking to buy at the time I bought my home. I know the supports are very high and I think they are at their limit as far as they can go. When we have earthquakes it really scares me. I wish I could get out of this home or find someone that moves them so I could get it moved to Bullhead City or Mohave or Fort Mohave , AZ. I know at the time I bought it I was able to get into take a shower, but after the fall and the injury to my buttocks, cracking it and the arthritis going right there has made my life miserable. Thank you again.
    Last edited by twinsgram; 04-09-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post

Have you considered a transfer/shower bench?

Was a Godsend after the Mrs. cracked her femur (thigh bone). Best of all, completely reversable for future sale.
    Could you include a photo of the one you have in your home?
    I'm interested in this for the inlaws.

Sounds like an interesting project, I have had fiberglass repairs done on boats, both acrylic and fiberglass and with the proper support, it turned out exceptionally well.

I did have a possible suggestion though, instead of discarding the piece removed, have the cuts made on an angle, angling out on the inside of the tub. Reinforce the cut piece with fitted 2x4s and seal the ends of the tub cut and the removed piece with fiberglass. then use a rubber seal around the cutout on the tub and reinstall the cutout piece with hinges and a force latch to turn your bathtub into a walkin shower with a door that can be closed and used as a bathtub when the desire arises...

This should give the access you need while maintaining a fully functional bathtub...
    Last edited by bloodwyn; 04-19-2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Thank you for your suggestion. It sounds like what I had in mind, but was afraid to suggest it to my son who will be doing the work. I guess I am a little hard-headed and can't really see it not leaking. I'll tell my sone and let him think about it though. Any ideas on where to get the rubber gasket thing so it will seal tightly? I just wish those Premier Baths were possible with a grant, but they are from the UK and acted like they didn't know what a grant was or is.