+ Reply to Thread

Default Smoke Alarms in new Construction

Building a cottage in northern Michigan and notice that State Code requires smoke alarms be wired for AC, in each bedroom, hall and main living area but they also require that they are all interconnected so if one goes off they all alert. Battery backup is required on each as well.

Does the interconnection use a two conductor wire between each unit, and what size wire is used? I can provide the AC to each but need to know the type of wire to interconnect. Any advice?
    Gordon Brooks
    Dearborn & Lewiston, Michigan

Default Re: Smoke Alarms in new Construction

The wiring may vary depending on the make of the alarms. It is best to check out your local home center to see if they offer them, to see what each recommends as the interconnect wiring. Some may require a larger gauge than others. The ones I have seen required 2-conductor, but some may require more/less.

BTW, also check your state/local codes to see if they require CO detectors. Some might, even if you don't have gas appliances/heat.

Also, as noted on a TOH episode, don't wire the power to the alarms on a separate circuit - code may require wiring to an existing circuit (kitchen lights, etc) so that you don't just turn off the breaker if they false too many times from cooking, and forget to turn them back on.
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

I use nothing but 14/3 Romex. Black to black, white to white, nothing new there. The red will tie the alarms together...

14/3 with a afc braker.as for a smoke/CO detectors you can get a all in one for hall by the bed rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by calepore123@comcast.net View Post
    14/3 with a afc braker.as for a smoke/CO detectors you can get a all in one for hall by the bed rooms.
    Most inspectors in central PA disagree with the arcfault part of the code. They feel it is redundant...

most electricians disagree with putting smoke detectors on arc faults also, but a smoke detector could be considered a life satey device and those are not to be wired to an arc fault.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarotomvfjr View Post
    most electricians disagree with putting smoke detectors on arc faults also, but a smoke detector could be considered a life satey device and those are not to be wired to an arc fault.
    I agree 100%