+ Reply to Thread

Question Re-seeding lawn?

We are in the process of selling our house. We are having an open house a week from Sunday so we need to get it looking good with at least some straw on it. Our lawn is on a hill and very shaded (huge pine trees, hickory, and fruit trees) except in the very front. We have a 1/2 acre lot and live in Ky. We have more dirt than grass. When my husband mows, it's like a huge dust storm. We need to re-seed but I'm not sure what needs to be done--aerate, fertilize, lime, seed, straw????? We also have a problem with dirt washing out in parts of the yard. I'm going to go to Lowe's today and see if they have any advice, but I was just wanting some advice from personal experience so to speak.
    Last edited by morcolt; 04-02-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: forgot something

Default Re: Re-seeding lawn?

I'd say do most of the things you've listed.
    I'm not sure if you should use lime though (a question for the Lowes guys)

But I don't see any disadvantage to aerating, seeding, and fertilizing.

If your dirt is mostly sand it might be worthwhile to toss some soil on the ground with that fertilizer.

Smile Re: Re-seeding lawn?

Quote Originally Posted by morcolt View Post
    We are in the process of selling our house. We are having an open house a week from Sunday so we need to get it looking good with at least some straw on it. Our lawn is on a hill and very shaded (huge pine trees, hickory, and fruit trees) except in the very front. We have a 1/2 acre lot and live in Ky. We have more dirt than grass. When my husband mows, it's like a huge dust storm. We need to re-seed but I'm not sure what needs to be done--aerate, fertilize, lime, seed, straw????? We also have a problem with dirt washing out in parts of the yard. I'm going to go to Lowe's today and see if they have any advice, but I was just wanting some advice from personal experience so to speak.
    Depending on the PH of your soil, you might need lime to give the grass good firm roots, plus make all other nutrients more available. You should be able to buy a PH kit at a local garden center, or take a soil sample to your local fertilizer plant, if you live close to a rural area. If your PH is low, you will benefit from the lime. Lime is one of the cheapest ways to make your soil work better. Farmers use lime all the time in our area.

Is your lawn very sloping? If so, it might be a good idea to purchase some rolls of sod to act as barriers across the slope, to stop rain from washing away the soil. Using a good topsoil is always a great idea when planting new grass. If you have a compost site nearby, you might get a few loads of composite to mix with the soil. We have a local compost site here in Minnesota, where people can get pickup loads of compost free of charge. Once the grass is seeded, mulch with a good, weed free straw, and keep it moist.

Enjoy your nice new lawn. Potential buyers really appreciate and value a nice lawn.

Good luck.

Very nice post with a ton of informative information.Thank you.
    JCB

morcolt, did you ever sell your home? Did you re-seed? What did Lowe's tell you? Did you put straw down?
    ________
    Find landscaping companies in your area.

In my experience, it takes a lot longer than a week to see significant results.

If you have any follow-up info, I would enjoy reading it.