+ Reply to Thread

Default Raising the ceiling/roof -- flat roof house

Trying to get a handle on what it might cost to raise the ceiling in a flat roofed house. The house is a typical frame and stucco, southwestern/pueblo style flat roof house. The only downside to the house is the 7.75 foot ceilings (I'm fairly tall). This is tolerable in the bedrooms, but fairly claustrophobic in the living/dining/entry areas of those. So, I am wondering what it might take to raise the ceiling and roof over these areas. There is no attic, just rafters with a built-up roof over them -- pretty typical for this type of construction. Not much else up there. Might be one ceiling light that would need to be re-routed/re-wired. I figure the area under discussion here is about 30 feet by 35 feet.

I assume that it would involve removing the built up roof in this area, removing the rafters, building up the walls (2 exterior, 2 interior) 2 or 3 feet (within a certain range, the amount of height added probably won't be a significant impact on cost), replace the rafters, then re-roof (insulate, seal, etc) over them, tie in old roof, stucco the wall extensions on the exterior Anyone have an idea of what this could potentially cost? Is my understanding of what's involved reasonable?

I figure if this was a pitched roof that this might be more involved and more costly. But with a simple flat roof, is this a bit more simple and straight-forward to do?

I don't think this is a $5,000 job, but is it a $10,000 or $20,000 job? More? What do you think? Thanks.

Default Re: Raising the ceiling/roof -- flat roof house

Quote Originally Posted by OldEldorado View Post
    Trying to get a handle on what it might cost to raise the ceiling in a flat roofed house. The house is a typical frame and stucco, southwestern/pueblo style flat roof house. The only downside to the house is the 7.75 foot ceilings (I'm fairly tall). This is tolerable in the bedrooms, but fairly claustrophobic in the living/dining/entry areas of those. So, I am wondering what it might take to raise the ceiling and roof over these areas. There is no attic, just rafters with a built-up roof over them -- pretty typical for this type of construction. Not much else up there. Might be one ceiling light that would need to be re-routed/re-wired. I figure the area under discussion here is about 30 feet by 35 feet.

I assume that it would involve removing the built up roof in this area, removing the rafters, building up the walls (2 exterior, 2 interior) 2 or 3 feet (within a certain range, the amount of height added probably won't be a significant impact on cost), replace the rafters, then re-roof (insulate, seal, etc) over them, tie in old roof, stucco the wall extensions on the exterior Anyone have an idea of what this could potentially cost? Is my understanding of what's involved reasonable?

I figure if this was a pitched roof that this might be more involved and more costly. But with a simple flat roof, is this a bit more simple and straight-forward to do?

I don't think this is a $5,000 job, but is it a $10,000 or $20,000 job? More? What do you think? Thanks.
    Sight unseen ---- besides the exterior work there's the interior work and the unforseens that almost always show up.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Sight unseen ---- besides the exterior work there's the interior work and the unforseens that almost always show up.

The interior work is nothing compared to the rest of the job. Possibly a little framing and a little drywall, not a big deal. I'm even happy to keep the beams/rafters exposed (so no need to drywall a new ceiling).

Also, there really isn't much to be "unforseen" because there is nothing up there -- no plumbing, no HVAC, nothing. No attic, no gap, not space anywhere. This is basic flat roof. just one ceiling light wire. Any wrong with the existing roof is not a problem since you're replacing all of it anyway. House is also only 19 years old, so I'm not expecting any major code issues, either. To focus on the big picture here, let assume (which is quite reasonable in this situation) that there are no unforseen issues involved.

Neither of these are going to be a major or even minor driver of the cost of doing this. I'll keep a contingency for any possible small issues that might turn up (as improbable as they might be).

I'm facing exactly the same situation--wanting to raise the flat ceiling/roof in my pueblo style/SW house in New Mexico.

I'm curious to know if you've completed the project and can share what it cost and any tips.

Thanks.

Considering you will need to submit construction drawings when you apply for the permit , you should consult with and engineer or architect.

Basically you will gut the existing roof exterior and the interior ceiling.

Depending on your local building code you may not be allowed to use a simple pony wall. You may be required to use full height studs for the framing.
    If this is the case the interior walls will be gutted to allow the sistering of the longer studs.

The new roof will then be framed and finshed.
    Followed by the interior finish.

The exterior stucco will need to be blended in to the existing ( if it can be ).

Sounds simple enough.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I might be easier & cheaper to replace the flat rafters with a scissor truss. You could get additional interior height and use the existing walls.
    Of course it might not fit the style or work with your layout.