+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Sanding Plaster Repairs???

I recently attempted to repair a long thin crack in the kitchen ceiling of my 1930's Cape Cod in New York. The walls and ceiling of my home are plaster, so to repair the crack I opened it up to a V, cleaned it out, and used DAP Patching Plaster with mesh tape. I applied three coats and sanded after each coat remembering to feather my edges. Well I just primed the ceiling, but have not yet applied the finish coats, and I can visibly see the repair and it is driving me nuts.

Should I sand down the repair, pull off the tape and just use the plaster patch to fill in the crack, or with plaster walls and ceilings do I just have to live with something like this? Does anyone have any suggestions how I should procced? PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: Sanding Plaster Repairs???

I don't think starting over would be the way to go. When you say you can see the repair, do you mean that you see a hump where the repair is? or is there a difference in the texture and finish of that one area?

In either case I think another sanding and perhaps a wider layer of compound would help to feather the edges a little more.

You could go the more labor intensive route, apply a bonding agent to the whole wall and apply a skim coat to even out the whole area.

Can you post pictures?
    Debby in Oklahoma

I agree with Debby. I would not start over. I think you just need a little more feathering and sanding. I know from experience, I am my own worst critic. Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd opinion on how it looks would also help.

The ceiling surface is smoothe, not textured, so what I mean is I can see the hump. When I sanded the patching plaster I sanded it as thin as possible, I could even see the mesh slightly through the plaster, but not so much that it shows through. I am worried that if I go even wider than I already have, which is aprroximately two inches on each side of the tape, that it will just make the repair that is already visible even bigger. I do not want to skim coat the whole ceiling if possible, the kitchen is 17x15 and I have never skim coated an area that large.

Was the area on both sides of the crack perfectly flat before you started? I think you just need to try and skim a litle more mud/patching plaster on all side of the hump and try and make it less prominent, and don't look up everytime you walk in the room.

Both sides of the crack were perfectly flat before I patched the crack. I am concerned that re-sanding and then making the repair wider, will only make the repair look larger and more visible. I am being a perfectionist, I can't help it, but to me it's important that it gets done right.

Maybe it is time to call in an expert? If having it perfect is very important it might be worth the money. Try and be there when he/she does the work and maybe you can pick up some pointers. Sorry I wasn't more help to you.

okay so you see a hump and why wouldn't you see a hump, because unlike drywall seems you're v groove didn't accomodate the width of the tape and gravity pulls on stuff like that although you wish it wouldn't. So I'm going to reverse my opinion and say start over.

This time not only to you need the v groove but you need to sand a depression for the width of the tape. taper this but make it deep enough to take the thickness of the tape, and some compound. Instead of doing the whole process at once. Let the filling of the groove dry first. Then apply the tape and the covering layer. then the feathered layer. You're going to need those extra wide drywall knives for this and a few days.

Sorry.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Debby & Eric,

Thank you for your advise and assistance. I don't know why I didn't think of it in the begining, but I think the solution Debby proposed is my best option. I think I will start over and sand a depression deep enough to accept the tape. It's going to take time, but it's worth it to me to get it done right and to do it myself. Pro's are great for things that they do (good pro's are true craftsman), but if it is something I can tackle myself with a little bit of skill and patience, in the end the benefits are that much more rewarding. Thanks again.

Dont sand down to accept the tape. Just usea wide knife.Like a 10-12" and feather it out on each side.