+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating the attic above a plywood floor

Hello, everyone. I recently watched the Ask TOH segment where Tommy helped a homeowner supplement the insulation in his attic. As you may recall, the homeowner already had insulation in the floor joist cavities- Tommy showed him the value of adding more insulation perpendicular to the joists.

I would like to accomplish a similar task in my attic. The difference, however, is that I have some plywood flooring nailed down over the joists. I don't need this flooring since I don't use this area of the attic and it would be very difficult to remove.

I know that I have insulation beneath the plywood, so my question is: can I simply add the new insulation above the plywood or do I need to remove the plywood floor?

Thanks!

Default Re: Insulating the attic above a plywood floor

If I remember correctly, Tommy had some plywood down as well so the homeowner had a safe path to walk on when accessing items to be stored in the attic and they put insulation over the top of that plywood. If you are sure there is an adequate amount of insulation below the plywood I would think putting more insulation on top of the plywood would be acceptable. Ideally,ripping it up would be best, but it just isn't always a viable option. Good luck.

I saw the same show wherein Tom Silva added "hard", interlocking insulating blocks ABOVE the temporary plywood floor to facilitate walking around the unfinished attic without pulling up the attic plywood floor. I am looking for the "hard", interlocking, insulating blocks that Tommy added to that attic space to insulate the space above the plywood floor and still be able to walk on it. It already had insulation beneath the plywood.

I have hunted high and low... Owns-Corning, Certainteed, Google, you-name-it, and have not found a clue as to who makes those "hard" insulation blocks.

Tommy, where the heck did you find those dudes?

collinsdean@rcn.com

Quote Originally Posted by sduff View Post
    I know that I have insulation beneath the plywood, so my question is: can I simply add the new insulation above the plywood or do I need to remove the plywood floor?

Thanks!
    Yes you may.