+ Reply to Thread

Default Cementing a Fence Post

Hi,
    Last year I had a fence installed. The posts were not cemented. Now a few of the posts are leaning. Is it a good idea to cement them in before the situation becomes worse?

Default Re: Cementing a Fence Post

That subject comes up around here every now and again , with varied opinions . I vote for concrete . It's always worked well for me .

Im installing a wood fence in my yard next week. I am useing cement but I was told to use a roof sealer in the area being cemented , to slow rot. I see to many fences around here with leaning posts, not what I want in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    Im installing a wood fence in my yard next week. I am useing cement but I was told to use a roof sealer in the area being cemented , to slow rot. I see to many fences around here with leaning posts, not what I want in my yard.
    If you want a permanent fence, then don't use wood posts. Use steel Post Master posts instead. They are virtually invisible after the fence is built.
    [IMG]http://www.fence******.com/architects/images/postmaster-main.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If you want a permanent fence, then don't use wood posts. Use steel Post Master posts instead. They are virtually invisible after the fence is built.
    Thats very nice I like that, Im gonna look into that a little further. Thanks for the picture.

You should be able to find them at any fencing dealer. Evil Orange used to carry a similar styled post, but I've not seen them there in a while.

Question Re: Cementing a Fence Post

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    A section of my fence and gate with cedar posts in concrete was snapped off at ground level during the recent Ike inland storm here in St. Louis. Could this kind of post be used in the concrete base from a previous post? Is it narrower than an orignal post therefore allowing it to be reinserted in the concrete "hole" left and then additional concrete poured around it to fill in the expanse left behind by the original post? Digging out the original concrete would be difficult since it is up against the side of the house and a retaining wall area.

Quote Originally Posted by riveresk View Post
    A section of my fence and gate with cedar posts in concrete was snapped off at ground level during the recent Ike inland storm here in St. Louis. Could this kind of post be used in the concrete base from a previous post? Is it narrower than an orignal post therefore allowing it to be reinserted in the concrete "hole" left and then additional concrete poured around it to fill in the expanse left behind by the original post? Digging out the original concrete would be difficult since it is up against the side of the house and a retaining wall area.
    You might be able to get away with that, as the Postmaster style post is narrower than a standard 4x4 post, however, these posts are not as rigid as a wood post, so they will flex if a gate is hung on it. This isn't necessarily a problem if the gate is in the middle of a run, but as a corner post with a gate attached, it's going to flex to the point that the gate may not operate properly. In this instance I would recommend using a pressure treated 4x4 in a new concrete base, which means pulling the old core.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!