+ Reply to Thread

Default Driveway cracks in a warm climate.

I live in a relatively warm area so my driveway doesn't expand and contract too much. I do have 4 jagged cracks running across the driveway. Anybody know the best method to fix them to keep rain from getting underneath and be as invisible as possible. The cracks are about 3/16 of an inch wide.

Cool Re: Driveway cracks in a warm climate.

Before you repair the cracks determine what may have caused them. Any major roots, water runoff,or sink holes under your driveway? You may consider replacement if there is a major problem.
    You didn't mention the type of material used for your driveway. Macadam or concrete? Macadam: There is a liquid crack-filler available. Easy to follow directions on jug. One drawback, depending on how weathered,(Gray)the existing macadam is; the more the crack fix will show. After the fix, you may want to get a good quality driveway sealer to do the whole driveway. The fix may not be as noticable, but I have never seen an invisible macadam repair.
    For concrete : There is a liquid crack filler. Also,a caulk-like product and the bagged dry cement products. Use a liquid bonding agent,(for concrete), inside the crack.
    The dry products will require you to chisel a dovetail into the crack for good bonding.

Post Re: Driveway cracks in a warm climate.

Hi,

I also need to repair some cracks in my concrete sidewalk. I would like to learn more about the dovetailing - how wide/deep should I make the crack? CT has freezing winters and I hate to have the work undone by the time Spring comes around.

Thanks!

Default Re: Driveway cracks in a warm climate.

You can buy a special diamond blade for your grinder that will "V" out the crack. I have repaired a few this way and filled them with a special concrete caulk matched to the color of the driveway. It's not a perfect match but it looks better than those cracks. Do not fill these cracks back with a concrete product unless it's specifically made to expand and contract. You are not trying to bond the concrete back together, but rather close up the crack and allow expansion and contraction, which is what caused the crack to begin with.

Good Luck.

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    I live in a relatively warm area so my driveway doesn't expand and contract too much. I do have 4 jagged cracks running across the driveway. Anybody know the best method to fix them to keep rain from getting underneath and be as invisible as possible. The cracks are about 3/16 of an inch wide.
    I tend to agree mostly but im still not sure I understand everything here

Thumbs down Brilliant, it works. Thank you

OK!!!!! It Does work, thank you for your kindless.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Angelina Jolie Johnny Depp Al Pacino Brad Pitt site Robert De Niro