+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Porch Post

Cool Porch Post

I Have A House That Was Built Between The Years Of 1900 And 1908.
    The From Porch Has 3 Posts Supporting The Porch Floor And The Ceiling. The Posts Are Rotted Out And Need To Be Replaced. I Want To Replace Them Myself, But The Only Problem I Have Is I've Never Replaced Post Like This. The Roof Has To Be Re-alined And Leveled. Any Suggestions On What To Do?

Default Re: Porch Post

Are you replacing the posts that hold up the floor and/ or the posts that hold up the roof ?
    It's almost sounding like the bottom supports are in need of work .... depends.

One thing will be to properly and temporarly support the roof over the porch while removing and replacing the posts.

Is it possible to include some photos .... that would help.

Well whatever you do make sure you support the post on something solid below. You will have to support the roof beam with temporary supports while you knock the old ones out.

The Post Are Supporting The Roof. Also W/ New Posts In Need To Level The Roof Also.

Wink Re: Porch Post

Off the top of my head I would start with re-aligning the roof. Find the level line of the roof. I would mount a laser level at that the original height of the roof. either to a post just to the side of the porch or on the house. A string level would work to as long as you don't have pests putting weight on the string pulling it down and such. Then 2 feet on each side of the post, take a hydraulic jack, a 2x6 block about 6 inches long and a 4x4 cut just short enough to fit between the jack with the 2x6 square layed across the jack's surface and the outer beam of the porch/not the decorative edge or sofit.

Jack up the beam so that that segment is level with the level line you have established. Then put in temporary support built with three 2x4's and some scrap lumber. Measure the distance between the floor and support beam positioning your support between the jack and the post. nailing the three 2x4's together with scraps cut to about 6 inches between each 2x4 at 16 inch intervals. and putting a plate at the top and bottom to nail to the floor and the support beam.

Then do that on the other side of that middle beam and knock out the post. Now the corner posts you'll do the same thing only you won't do it on the far side, you'll do it on the sides of the porch.

Once you have all the supports in place and the old posts knocked out make sure that your base is in good condition and replace the post.

I'll post some pictures of a mock up in a few minutes.

and thanks to the crayon box ..... here they are:

Last edited by debbysewn; 04-01-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: my word picture format didn't work
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by JDECHELLIS View Post
    I Have A House That Was Built Between The Years Of 1900 And 1908.
    The From Porch Has 3 Posts Supporting The Porch Floor And The Ceiling. The Posts Are Rotted Out And Need To Be Replaced. I Want To Replace Them Myself, But The Only Problem I Have Is I've Never Replaced Post Like This. The Roof Has To Be Re-alined And Leveled. Any Suggestions On What To Do?
    Sounds like some more information is needed if you would like suggestions.
    Is the floor of the porch supported seperately and the posts for roof sitting on the floor of the porch?