+ Reply to Thread

Question Rewiring a light fixture to use a power plug

Spring is slowly making its way to my neck of the woods and I'm getting ready to start my seeds for the garden, but I need some lights. At the salvage building supply I've found a few fluorescent light fixtures that have white, black, and red wires coming out of the balast. How can I rewire these to use a plug? Is the red wire a ground? Would I follow what is said in the "How to replace and extension cord plug" article?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Rewiring a light fixture to use a power plug

Quote Originally Posted by KLRichardson View Post
    Spring is slowly making its way to my neck of the woods and I'm getting ready to start my seeds for the garden, but I need some lights. At the salvage building supply I've found a few fluorescent light fixtures that have white, black, and red wires coming out of the balast. How can I rewire these to use a plug? Is the red wire a ground? Would I follow what is said in the "How to replace and extension cord plug" article?
    Thanks!
    The black and white will power the ballast. Remember sometimes fluorescent units will not work without the unit being grounded as well. {99% of the time it will**. But I always ground the units so I never hit that sag.
    The red wire usually runs to one of the tombstones. Meaning those cheap plastic lite tube holders that always seem to crack with time. A sketch should be on the ballast as to what wire goes where. If the ballast has not cooked itself, that is.
    Good luck)

All flo. fixtures with 3 wire ballasts were wired Black to Black on ballast, White to white on ballast and to one pin on lamp, Red to other pin on lamp. I'm not saying that is the only configuration just that it is all that I've worked on. Do as Ernie says and check the ballast there is almost always a wiring diagram on it. Oh and you would connect your ground wire to a screw through the body of the fixture.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    All flo. fixtures with 3 wire ballasts were wired Black to Black on ballast, White to white on ballast and to one pin on lamp, Red to other pin on lamp. I'm not saying that is the only configuration just that it is all that I've worked on. Do as Ernie says and check the ballast there is almost always a wiring diagram on it. Oh and you would connect your ground wire to a screw through the body of the fixture.
    Jack
    Thanks for the ground screw addendum
    I was thinking along the lines that the ground screw would still be on the unit. If not present, I just add a self tapper and dab it green with a sharpie. {Or you could buy a bag of ground screws from your local supplier**.
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 03-31-2008 at 06:21 PM.