+ Reply to Thread

Post Flood Control or Overhead Sewer?

I am re-doing my entire basement and it has flooded in the past. I am having a difficult time deciding whether I should install an overhead sewer system or a flood control system. I feel like I am getting a "sell job" from the overhead sewer people and that it might be overkill. The overhead sewer is 2-3 times more expensive than the flood control and requires more maintenance. I am interested in an unbiased expert opinion on this if possible.

Default Re: Flood Control or Overhead Sewer?

A little more background as to the source of the flooding would be helpful.

For example ..... is the flooding originates from the floor drain during extreme wet conditions ? If so then maybe a backflow valve installed in the main line for the home and a sump pit with pump would likely be far cheaper and less hassle in my opinion.

Just 2 cents worth.

Good question, the flooding is coming from the sewer backing up through my floor drains. As part of the project I will also install drain tiles.

I'll bet your area has a single drain system out at the street and when the city sewer is overwhelmed that's when your basement floods.

If that's the case then the backflow valve installed in the main discharge line exiting the basement to the city line would prevent this.

However ... I'll also bet the weepers from the home tie into this main discharge line for the home ... if that's the case when the backflow valve is closed the water from the drains won't have anywhere to go .... that would be the job of the sump pit and pump.

Hope this helps.

I remembered a similar thread that had issues with basement flooding :
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=4065