+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking Shower

Default Leaking Shower

Shortly after I moved into a new house, I noticed that a tiled shower stall in the master bathroom is leaking through the ceiling below. I've checked the valves, shower head, and drain -- no leaks. I've tried to caulk any obvious cracks in the grout and the problem continues. I think I'm in over my head. Who would you contact to fix a problem like this, plumber or general contractor?

Default Re: Leaking Shower

If this is a fiberglass or acrylic shower base with tiled walls......it may have a crack in the floor which only leaks when someone is standing in the shower.

That or it may have a leak around the drain connection which also only leaks when someone is in the shower.

Both of these problems usually develop (or more often) when the shower base wasn't properly bedded in mortar or similar.

The leak may also be at/behind the estucheon plate of the shower control.

Shower has a tile base with tile walls. I've removed the escuchen plate and looked behind. I can also see the plumbing through the hole in the celing below, and there is no leak when the water is running.

I think the motar pan must not be watertight.

Can you see water emerging from somewhere when the shower is running....or is the source even more elusive than that?

Perhaps you could try catching all the water from the showerhead in a 5 gallon bucket sitting on a stepladder or similar. If water still shows up where it shouldn't, you've eliminated the shower floor or walls as the likely source. And/or.....vice-versa.

Any chance the water is coming from the supply lines before those ever arrive at the shower?

Try turning the shower head away from the door and see if it leaks. There may be a problem with the sealant on the track when someone is using the shower.
    Gasman