+ Reply to Thread

Default maintaining redwood interior

Our lake home has natural redwood paneling in most rooms, including in hallways below grade. In the summer months the redwood will mildew (turn black) and smell. I have used deck cleaner several times to wash the walls as best I can. (Also, there is a dehumdifier running where possible but it does not reach to the hallways). Is there anything I can do to prevent moisture rention in the walls that is safe for interior walls, ie. water sealer or should I poly some of the walls?

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by mryan View Post
    Our lake home has natural redwood paneling in most rooms, including in hallways below grade. In the summer months the redwood will mildew (turn black) and smell. I have used deck cleaner several times to wash the walls as best I can. (Also, there is a dehumdifier running where possible but it does not reach to the hallways). Is there anything I can do to prevent moisture rention in the walls that is safe for interior walls, ie. water sealer or should I poly some of the walls?
    I tend to agree mostly but im still not sure I understand everything here

Default Re: maintaining redwood interior

If you have recurring mildew problems showing to the inside walls, I would be concerned what might be going on inside the walls, especially below grade. I would consider backing off some of the paneling to make a visual inspection. You state that you have used deck cleaner to remove the black staining. A cleaner might lighten the stain marks , but not kill the mildew. Most cleaners are oxalic acid which is not a mildecide. If you have a mold/mildew problem, it might be time for professional mold remediation.