+ Reply to Thread

Question Design Software Recommendations

I'm working on the design of an addition to my house. In another thread, a software package called Punch! was recommended. After a bit a research, I'm still not sure what it'll produce Any recommendations? I'd like something that does 3D modeling as well as produces blueprints for walls, foundations etc.

I'm proficient in AutoCAD (though generally do industrial control design and some 2D stuff). I'd rather not spend the time to detail elevation drawings in it.

I've used Google's Sketchup which is good for fleshing out ideas but has limited output (plus a number of frustrating things that while help in ease of use are a bummer from an engineering standpoint). The learning curve on that, for me, was very short. Had my idea sussed in a few hours.

Besides Punch! I noticed there is also a Home and Garden product, and something from Boderbound which doesn't seem to highly regarded.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: Design Software Recommendations

AutoDesk has 3D and camera capabilites. Have you worked with that at all? You can do your geography/landscape details with it too.

It's much easier to work with for that kind of application than AutoCAD. Way easier and you can use it like a more technical/detailed version of Sketchup. If you know CAD which is a beast in it's own league, AutoDesk shouldn't be much of a challenge for you to use it that way.

Yeah, I know, there's lot of programs out there and they're all good. I'm just saying if you're already CAD proficient it would be a breeze for you and it's a good tool you'd feel comfortable using.

I found the Home and Garden product to be quite frustrating.

Several years ago I bought some $39 program which did exactly what I want now... allowed one to easily build rooms, walls, floor plans, furnishings; then convert to 3d, do walk-throughs, pan around, select wall, floor materials, textures, colors, and get a sense of what the whole thing would look like when finished.

Sure wish that I could remember what that program was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Park View Post
    I found the Home and Garden product to be quite frustrating.

Several years ago I bought some $39 program which did exactly what I want now... allowed one to easily build rooms, walls, floor plans, furnishings; then convert to 3d, do walk-throughs, pan around, select wall, floor materials, textures, colors, and get a sense of what the whole thing would look like when finished.

Sure wish that I could remember what that program was.
    I believe that is the Punch one. I've used both the Hoe and Garden and the Punch, and Punch is much better. The HG is much more dumbed down (which is great if you're just trying to create a concept) but the Punch has many more options and will make a good rough blueprint.
    2009 kitchen remodel warrior

asbolute black granite
    Antique White Hidden Content
    Travertine 18" x 18" floor tiles.
    It looks Great!!