+ Reply to Thread

Default Weird Wall Material

The walls on the second floor of my house are made of something weird. I'm hoping somebody might be able to tell me a little bit about it: What's this stuff called? When would it have been used? Does it have aspestos in it? How can you repair it?

My house was built in 1920 and the main level has plaster walls and ceilings. Some time after the house was built they converted the attic into a usable space. The walls on the second floor aren't plaster, drywall, or paneling. They are very thin, maybe 1/4" thick, and if you break a hole in it (which is extremely easy to do) it looks like the wall is made of sawdust that is glued together (very poorly glued together). The joints are joined together just like drywall would be, but you can see every seam and nail. I don't know that this is so much from poor craftsmen ship as it is from the wall material just being kinda pathetic. That's about the best description I can come up with. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know!

Default Re: Weird Wall Material

If you have the ability, post a picture. Your description sounds like someone used particle board (compressed sawdust panels ) to cover the exposed joists and possible insulation.

This is what particle board looks like:

Default Re: Weird Wall Material

It' may even be homasote.