+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered Guest

Default Structural Support

My house is a beach cottage from the 1930's. I want to open two rooms to each other. The existing walls meet in a T in plan view. The removed area would be 12 ft on the vertical part of T and 10 ft on the horizontal part of the T. The horizontal part is the old end of the house so supported underneath by footings. The bottom of the T lands right on top of a footing along that bearing wall. I've calculated the the load would be 350 lbs/ft. Can you tell me a good way to go for the structural support? Would steel members be best because they can be strong but small enough to fit into the existing ceiling cavity? Is there a good way to make the T meet and not have a column at the intersection but rather on the 3 outer points? To size the steel and fasteners can I go to a local fabrication shop? Do you know any in Cape May County, NJ?

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My house is a beach cottage from the 1930's. I want to open two rooms to each other. The existing walls meet in a T in plan view. The removed area would be 12 ft on the vertical part of T and 10 ft on the horizontal part of the T. The horizontal part is the old end of the house so supported underneath by footings. The bottom of the T lands right on top of a footing along that bearing wall. I've calculated the the load would be 350 lbs/ft. Can you tell me a good way to go for the structural support? Would steel members be best because they can be strong but small enough to fit into the existing ceiling cavity? Is there a good way to make the T meet and not have a column at the intersection but rather on the 3 outer points? To size the steel and fasteners can I go to a local fabrication shop? Do you know any in Cape May County, NJ?
    I tend to agree mostly but im still not sure I understand everything here

Default Re: Structural Support

Sounds like an engineer would have to evaluate the situation first hand and provide you with drawings ... no one can tell from over the internet what's involved.

Sure steel can be used .... but how and what sizes have to be determined by a professional.