+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with Transom Operator installation

I've built a new/old house, Victorian farmhouse style, using vintage millwork, flooring and fixtures from 1890 to 1910 houses (and one 1890 hotel) from which I salvaged everything that I needed. I finished the interior door slabs to my satisfaction, and then had a local millworker hang them for me, ready for the builder to set in place. Six interior doors also include transoms, which open with hinges at the top. I also have the original transom operators from the old hotel. I'm ready to install the transom operators now, but, as is my habit, I like to research these things before I begin drilling holes in millwork. It would seem there is a bit of trial and error necessary in order to find precisely where to position the hardware for maximum leverage. Also, I'm having difficulty understanding just how the hardware would provide a closed position--- the transom wants to pull open a bit for its resting position and the operator doesn't pull it shut. I am not able to locate any installation information or tips about such an install on the Web. Can you help with some tips on this? Thank you. Bruce M, Hartsburg, Missouri

Default Re: Help with Transom Operator installation

Did you ever figure this out? I'd be interested to see the answer.