+ Reply to Thread

Cool Crooked Tree Swing

I am currently tring to hang a tree swing on a branch that is uneven . . . the swing is about 5 ft wide but the height difference in the branch within that 5ft span is about 1ft. So, when I use simply rope/cable to hang the swing, we end up swinging crooked. This is the only branch that I can easily use in the yard, so I'm hoping there is a solution - any ideas on how to easily correct this situation? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sorry, maybe I should re-phrase the question a bit. The swing is currently level, but due to the crooked branch (which slopes upward), the length of rope needed to keep the swing level on side A is only 6ft long, whereas on side B, it is 7ft long which results in the swing being level, but when you start swinging, it swings crooked. Hope this clarifies that question.

-Anxiously awaiting summer!
    Last edited by robheidi; 03-29-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Reader feedback

Default Re: Crooked Tree Swing

my guess about this isn't the length of either rope. It's the give in the branch. Trees give with pressure so when you swing on it the branch is going to swing vertically as well making the swing actually travel in a horizontal arc as well as a vertical one. The only way to avoid the secondary motion is to stabilize the far end of the branch and that won't make the tree very happy when it becomes windy.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Hi. I had this exact problem. Buy a piece of PVC pipe. Cut it to a length that allows the rope on the higher end of the branch to have its fulcrum point even with the lower end. Then thread the rope of that longer side through the pipe, attach the pipe through the tree branch (I drilled a slightly larger hole and then put a bolt through the pipe horizontally just above the tree branch, to prevent the pipe's slipping down), and you're done. The fulcrum point on both sides will be the same and your swing will swing at level.

Hope that makes sense.

Nice post Jeff...I never thought about doing this.
    New homeowner in need of Hidden Content assistance.