+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Do I need a sump pump - new house?

I am purchasing a house that was built in 2005 and there has never been a water problem in the basement.The inspector recommended a pump due to some water in the pit at the time of inspection. Is installing a pump a neccessary thing for such a new house that has never had a water issue? Or could we wait until a possible issue occurs or until we finish the basement which might be done within 3-5 years? An additional factor is that we will be having a radon mitigation unit installed and I would assume they would seal the pit.

Default Re: Do I need a sump pump - new house?

Thanks for the advice and additional information - I have decided to put it in.

I agree that since you have a sump pit & drain tile why not install a pump. A wet year coupled with a heavy driving rain at some point could cause water to come up in the pit. Another thing common to new houses is having the grade subside around the house because of settling. This could allow water to seep down to.
    If the sump is located near the water heater consider building a some sort of dam around the heater so when it leaks, and they all do eventually, the water will be directed to the sump. I used 2x4's secured to the slab with sealant. All my water utilities are in a back corner, so it was easy to do. It save a bunch of mess for me once when a water filter developed a leak. Or a pan can be placed under the water heater with a hose leading to the sump if they are close enough.

I have to admit I never saw the last line about radon, so more important issues than water are involved.

Are you having a radon mitigation system installed because of a high radon test, a code requirement, or are you just playing it safe? Is it a full system or just a venting system?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: Do I need a sump pump - new house?

Radon testing is part of the inspection process where we are moving and the reading came up slightly above the EPA recommended level before mitigation is needed; actually radon is not that uncommon - (1 in 15 homes has an elevated level above the EPA recommendation) - seethe EPA link for details http://www.epa.gov/radon/index.html
    Therefore, we are playing it safe and moving forward with finishing the piping for it, (most of it in place as part of the initial build) in addition to the exhaust fan which will push the gas above the roofline and out from the attic.Yes,this is being done by a professional company that has been doing this since 1990. So the bottom line is yes we had an official radon test, it was slightly above, and yes a professional company is fixing it and if they cannot we are covered in our contract.

In terms of the pump itself the owner never installed it because they never had a water issue (I am playing it safe and putting it in. In addition, someone I know with a new house in the same area does not have a pump installed - not sure if it commonplace to be proactive.

In terms of the pump itself the owner never installed it because they never had a water issue (I am playing it safe and putting it in.
    For the relatively small price I think it's a great idea for piece of mind and added insurance.