+ Reply to Thread

Default Dryer not working ?

So ... I'm out of town a few days and when getting back home decided to catch up on doing some laundry.
    After the first load of wash finshed it went into the dryer while the second load was washing ... I decided to get caught up on things around here on the forum.

I heard the washer finish and went down to check the clothes in the dryer. The cycle on the dryer had ended but the clothes were still damp .... not a big deal right?

Turn on the dryer for a few minutes longer ... it didn't start up ... only the sound of the timer running.... hmmm.

Murphy's law.... washer full of wet clothes and a dryer full of damp clothes.

Well .... took off the bottom cover and sure enough the belt for the drum broke.
    Lucky it wasn't too late in the evening or a Sunday ... drove down to the appliance parts shop picked up a new belt.

Took the dryer apart and while there got out the shop vac and cleaned up all the lint bunnies .... man that stuff gets everywhere.

Now the reason the dryer wouldn't run .... aside from the obvious broken belt .... is the belt tensioner presses on a safety cutout switch. It's function is to disable the gas burner in this case .... or the electric elements from turning on ..... causing a potential hazard.

As you can see the tensioner is spring loaded so when the belt breaks the spring pulls the tensioner back ( to the left) .... opens the contacts on the switch ( yellow connectors on white wires ) and disables the dryer .

All said ... two hours .... including driving to get the belt and vacuuming out the lint bunnies .... and $12 for the belt.

Hopefully this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dryer.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dryer1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	913  

Default Re: Dryer not working ?

Congrats on your success!! At least you didn't do what I did a few years ago.... a real DUH moment....

Same issue....broken belt on out lp gas dryer. No big deal, went and got the replacement, cleaned out the lint bunnies and the exhaust vent and installed the belt after a little head scratching on the routing of the belt around the tensioner.

After connecting everything back up and purging the air from the gas line it still wouldn't light. Tried multiple times (9 or 10) and then ordered from a website what I thought was the bad part. While waiting for the part to arrive, I tried it one more time just for the heck of it and it fired right up and has been working fine ever since.

Moral of the story, if after 10 times you don't succeed, try for 11! By the way, anyone need an lp dryer control valve assembly still in the box??? Of course the minute I get rid of it thats when the one in the dryer will break!

Of course the minute I get rid of it thats when the one in the dryer will break!
    Exactly ... that's usaully Murphy works.

Have you finished the back splash .... bet it looks good.

No belt, no saftey switch, no lint buildup

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yep .... that was plan B .... though we still have 2 feet of snow on the ground and with the temps clothes will still freeze solid.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Exactly ... that's usaully Murphy works.

Have you finished the back splash .... bet it looks good.
    Finally finished grouting last night, giving it a couple days to cure before sealing then caulking. So far it looks ok. Even with mixing different batches of grout and doing it over a couple days, the coloring is very consistent. That was my big worry, that some patches would be lighter and others darker. After I get the outlet & switch covers back on I'll post some more pics.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    installed the belt after a little head scratching on the routing of the belt around the tensioner.
    Good point ... I remember that feeling long ago the first time I replaced one .... the days before the Internet.

At least the picture on the right shows how the belt feeds through the tensioner ..... so anyone doing it for the first time has some help.

I look forward to the after pics of the backsplash ..... good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    If you use one of those in Franklin county, the perverts will steal your wife's underwear.
    No, the perverts steal YOUR underwear?

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    That is priceless Jack,,,, I had a good laugh. You have to live Fayette County, Ohio to come up with that one. If you use one of those in Franklin county, the perverts will steal your wife's underwear.
    You mean those city women wear underwear? Next you'll be telling me they shave their legs.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I had the same happen to me the belt broke. I went and replaces the belt cleaned the lint in the burner area and the dryer vent. I turned the dryer back on and nothing. I pulled my analog voltage tester out and started troubleshooting. What I found there is a over temp device that keeps the burner from firing. It is a one time thermostat that opens up on over temp located on the flame guard. I replace it and evrything worked fine. I believe I had a $10.00 in parts and about 4 hours of labor. Most ov it was cleaning and assembly. But it saved me from buying a new dryer.
    Harry