+ Reply to Thread

Default suggestions for lawn in regard to our dogs

My wife and I have two dogs, a Shelty collie and Border collie.
    We have had a rough winter and the lawn has been impacted by the tornado from 2006. During the 07 season, the lawn did not fourish as it has in perveious times.
    Would any one have suggestions as to a grass seed type which holds up to the dogs?
    Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Default Re: suggestions for lawn in regard to our dogs

my suggestion would be to find one from your local sod store. They will know for sure. Don't go to a nursery or home center find someone that lays sod.

The only other thing I can recommend is be diligent about keeping them from digging, and getting their waste off the lawn quickly. I found a doggie septic system set up made from a holey, buried trash can and some chemicals. I can't find the site now, but my husband did it for me last October. We're able to keep the land mines to a minimum. Now this summer when he lets the weeds get pretty high that will be another story.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: suggestions for lawn in regard to our dogs

Several questions and a couple cautious suggestions: how large is your yard relative to the dogs? Is it fenced? Do you have beds planted up to the fence? Are you north or south, zone-wise?

If the yard is pretty normal sized for a lot in town, and fenced, and if this is where the dogs have free roaming and get the bulk of their exercise, I have found they like to patrol the perimeter. Even one oldish Lab can pack the earth into a nice weed-free footpath, so leave room between plantings and the fence. Establish a dog play zone, like a sandbox is for children, where the earth is left soft and they can dig with impunity. If you are north, think about bunch grasses. These don't make the most even lawn, but especially native bunch grasses are tough, and many are low enough you needn't mow -- so when they go to seed, they just renew any scanty spots. If you are south, St. Austine will hold up to pretty much anything once established. If you use that, trench in the plugs of sod so the tops are level with grade, otherwise you'll end up with a yard full of little grass mogules. The doggy doolie idea mentioned for disposing of dog bombs is a good one, too, but be sure to use the enzyme that helps breakdown to prevent the canine version of sewer gas events. best, M.