+ Reply to Thread

Default Architect, engineer or builder

I'm in the planning stages of a remodel/addition to my 1960's era home. I'll be converting the garage to living space and building a new attached garage next to it. I pretty much know what I want, have done layouts in AutoCAD and 3D models. Some questions remain, first and foremost, beam and column issues and load bearing wall removal. A few smaller HVAC issues exist too.

Question is, should I hire an architect an engineer or go with a building firm that can provide all this? I'll need some drawings for permits.

I'll be doing a lot of the work myself: Electrical, drywall, finish carpentry, floors, etc. I'll be hiring out for rough carpentry, exterior, roofing, rough plumbing, HVAC and some exterior grading and paving.

My first inclination is to hire an architect and get plans. Then hire a builder to do work on a building, paving company to do driveway and concrete walks. Just what and how do architects charge for this sort of thing?

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Architect, engineer or builder

On large projects they usually charge a percentage of the project cost. On your small job it could be a hourly rate or just a total cost. Call one and ask. Having a drawing from a architect will save you money in the long run. Your contract with the subs will refrence the print. That way the subs can not deviate from your print unless you ok it. Or if they try to short cut you have documentation on expect their work to be completed. You now have adocument as what is expected on a final project.

My drafting experience is mostly confined to industrial electrical and some 2D layouts. Are there any good resources for architectural drafting (maybe for 'dummies')? I'd like to give it a try and have it reviewed.

asc,

Thanks for the tip. I used Google Sketchup for visulizing (free). Works great and easy to use but no plans. I see another product that seems well liked: Punch! Professional Home Design Suite. Looks like it does a lot for $65. Can't tell if it'll produce the prints I need though.