+ Reply to Thread

Default Cleaning Silicone Caulk from Synthetic Material Shower Pan

I have a shower pan made of some type of synthetic material so I hesitate to use mineral spirits and a cloth to thoroughly remove the silicone caulking from it. I remember the manufacturer's care instructions were to use only slightly dampened Spic 'n Span powder detergent and no products containing bleach on the pan. I do not remember the manufacturer's name or would be getting in touch with the company. Does anyone have any idea what this material is and whether it can tolerate mineral spirits?

Default Re: Cleaning Silicone Caulk from Synthetic Material Shower Pan

It sounds like you've got a cultured product - a man made material that mimics natural stone in appearance. Whether or not your pan can withstand mineral spirits would depend on the color, age, and brand of pan, however, mineral spirits won't touch the silicone, so using it would be an excersize in futility. To be quite honest, I've not found a product that can remove silicone residue, the only way is to use a sharp single edged razor blade and carefully sc****/cut the residue as best you can. Another method I've used on exterior siding is to use a white rubber dog chew and rub it on the silicone residue like an eraser. Get one of the solid chews and you can carve it to fit into nooks and crannies. Colored chew toys will leave scuff marks that the white toys don't.

Ultimately, it's going to take time and lots of elbow grease to remove the silicone to any acceptable level.