+ Reply to Thread

Default To lathe or not to lathe?

Im looking for some input on removing plaster walls and replacing with new drywall. Can I leave the window trim in place? Should I remove the lathe boards and lay the drywall on the studs after they've been furred out, or leave the lathe board and lay over them? I need to retain that thickness due to the window casings. From the front of the stud to the back of the trim is approx one inch. Suggestions? Thanks!!

Default Re: To lathe or not to lathe?

Howdy, you can re drywall over the existing lath. Consider though if you do not remove the lath then you do not know what is behind it that may need addressing in the wall, insulation, framing repair, wiring, etc. If you remove the lath then you must fur out the studs if using 1/2" drywall so it fits the window and door casings and base trim( if base is old stile used with plaster). I left my window & door trim on and furred out with lath and slid in the new drywall then re nailed the trim threw the new drywall.

I see your point regarding insulation, electrical etc. I will be working in the wall cavity in some places, so I think it will make more sense to remove all of the lathe. I anticipated removing some of the top and bottom lathe and feeding the insulation through. But Im guessing that wont go as smoothly as I would hope!! Thanks for the advice. What should I be on the look out for? Any steps I should consider?
    Last edited by Greg423; 12-12-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Add info

Howdy one item is the electrical switch/outlet boxes depending on which type you install nailing them with the additional furrowing is additional item. Get ready to remove a whole bunch of little nails. Got any ideas for using old lath believe me when i tell ya i have quite a big pile in a small town in Nebraska.... Way wasier to pull lath then install insullation as you can make sure less gaps

I did think of the electrical boxes. Figured I might need to address the attachment to the studs. It seems likely the boxes' nail attachment points will be near the seam of the newly added furring strip. I'll likely add a vertical cleat to the stud and attach the boxes to one solid 2x4. As for the left over lath...looks like nice kindling for a bonfire! Oh, and I'll be selling a lot of little nails here in the near future!