My DH and I want to have a covered porch built, but we are not even sure if this is what it is called. Our vision (if you can call it that) is of a solid, covered ceiling, one which you can have a ceiling fan hanging from it. I would love to know what to call this backyard area. Also I don't know if it would have screened in sides or what, I don't know what the current trend is on this. I am very prone to mosquito/bug bites, so if screened in is still good, I should probably consider it.
Another aspect to this project is this back door we have. Right now it is a single-pane french door that leads from the house to the back yard, and it opens onto this small-ish concrete pad. The lack of a covered area over the doorway has rotted the door frame, and who knows what else. All of the moisture from the rains comes down right in front of the door like a waterfall when we have heavy rain.
One part I am unsure of is that the fireplace chase is on the wall outside, where the covered porch thing would be. Would the ___ (fill in the sub-contractor) build around it, or what? Would this covered porch have roofing shingles, like my house? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!