+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Convert old cast iron baseboard to slant fin

Hi,

I have an old house with six inch burnham cast iron baseboard on it. I recently had one split due to a possible freeze up. I was using a wood stove at the time. In the morning when the fire died it was cold, I turned the thermostat up, about 5 minutes later...BAM! Baseboard radiator had a six inch horizontal split. Is this consistant with a freeze or old age?

As the baseboard in the house is quite old and the valves/connections too. There have been some leaks here and there. I don't suspect this will get better with time. I am considering replacing all this with slant fin 30. My heating guy thinks I'm making a big mistake.

I'd appreciate some pro's and cons.

Default Re: Convert old cast iron baseboard to slant fin

The break sounds like a freeze-up---cast iron will last forever if it isn't allowed to freeze--copper-finned Slant/fin will freeze & break in similar conditions.

I think you should keep the cast iron---it gives off a radiant as well as convective heat that you won't get with copper-fin.

The cast iron stays hot for hours--emitting heat long after the copper-fin, which cools after 15 minutes or so.