+ Reply to Thread

Default Want to install corded pendant light in ceiling

Have corded pendant lights we want to install on the ceiling. We don't want the swag effect that plugs into the wall. Also, don't want to void the safety rating on the light by hardwiring to a ceiling box. Looking for suggestions on how we can make these look like a hard wired pendant light. Need to cover the outlet receptcle and ensure the plug is not dislodged due to gravity.

Default Re: Want to install corded pendant light in ceiling

I have a question back to you. Is there a light box in the ceiling where you want to install this light? If there is you can buy a canopy kit at your big box store. Then simply cut the plug off of the cord. The cord then can be weaved through the chain( look at the dinning room fixtures hung at the store). Then inserted through the canopy and hard wired to the light box. The cord that you are cutting is the same cord that would be used in a hard wired application. Although some might disagree with me. I have done this since most lights are available both swag and hardwired. The only difference is the canopy and a cord on the end.

I agree with Raven and would only add that to be code compliant a ground wire would need to run between the fixture and light j-box/canopy.

That may or may not be there on a plug-in type swag fixture.

The lamp doesn't have a ground wire and doesn't seem to have anywhere to connect a ground to the fixture. This is an intermediate size socket and the fixture is plastic so there is nowhere to place a ground. Would I be able to purchase a new socket that accepted a ground?

I just installed a new foyer fixture in my house and there was not a ground present on the fixture. In my opinion don't worry about it.