+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default GFI breaker to an outlet?

Have a one year old house that we had built with a whirlpool tub that is in somewhat of a different room from the true room with the sinks. Issue is there is no outlet in this bathtub room. The tub is on a circuit of its own and there is a GFI breaker that is the same size as a GFI outlet but it is not an outlet. This breaker is about 10 foot from the tub and my question is can I replace this breaker with a true GFI outlet to be used for something small like a night light?

Default Re: GFI breaker to an outlet?

the last part of your question is not clear enough for me to reply. Is it a outlet on a GFI breaker that is 10' away? please restate your question.

Ok, I don't know what you call the item in the wall but imagine a true GFI outlet that has the test button and the reset button and the two outlets. Well this is the same item that has only the two buttons, no outlets so if the tub tripped, all I would have to do is to hit the reset button on the wall. This is what is about 10 ft from the tub but as I stated, this tub is on a circuit of its own from the panel box. This is where I want to take that devise out and replace it with a full GFI outlet.

Yeah, not real clear on the terms you are using. Your tub falls under article 680 of the NEC as a Hydromassage bath tub and is required to have a GFCI protected receptacle no less than 6' and no more than 20' from the tub.
    There are constraints for cord and plug connected equipment used in these areas.

I sent you a e-mail with my phone number call me and maybe I can help you. I am still not sure what you have

If I'm understanding correctly what you have is like the device on the far right.

If it's 10' away you should be fine with changing it to a GFCI type receptacle.

Yes, the far right is exactly what it is.

If it is on a GFI circuit already then you could have some un wanted tripping. You also need to be careful to read how to hook it up. There is a line and load on the receptacle. Read the instructions carefully or your will not be GFI protected. This is around water which requiresGFI protection. and before I answered I wanted all info. As this could be a hugh shock hazzard. ending in death!
    Last edited by Ravens53; 03-26-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Well then, there you go.

The NEC actually requires a GFCI type receptacle no less than 6' and no more than 20' from the hydro tub.
    There are limits on fixed or stationary equipment but no limitations on portable cord and plug connected equipment in that area. A little plug-in type night light? Should be no problem.

A floor lamp over the tub for reading?........... Not a good idea.

Ah, posting on top of each other............

I think the idea here, Raven, was for the wall GFCI trip unit to be accessable in case the tub tripped on Ground fault. But agree. Watch the line and load connections if it's replaced with a receptacle type GFCI.