+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: GFI breaker to an outlet?

Yeah, I actually do love my wife so I won't put a lamp over the tub for her
    All she is asking for is a small plug in night light so she can see the toilet in the middle of the night. I like the idea because that way she doesn't turn on all the overhead lights that wake me up. I have wired GFI outlets before but just didn't know if I could replace this type. Thank you all for your help..

As Raven pointed out, pay close attention to line and load. I would also be curious to know the rating of the existing device. I would imagine it's 15 or 20 amp with 20 amp feed through rating. If it is 20 amp rated I wouldn't replace it with a 15.

I will be sure to check that first. Worst case if it seems to not be happy and trips at all, I will just put it back the way it was.
    I should be able to go on that if it trips as it to date, has never tripped at all. I will double check all my wiring also.
    Thanks again.

Roflmao!...............!

(Insert photo of a ranting mad woman beating on a dead horse here.)

Have been out of town for several days so just now came back into this. OK, OK, after reading all the comments and laughing my butt off at the bickering, I will take the best advice I saw and not do anything but leave things the way they are. Safety for the family is the best thing.
    Now, hope to get an answer to this without starting a new thread.

What is the difference in the $1.00 outlet and the $4.00 outlet that you buy at a hardware store? Are they both safe to install? If there is a safety issue, why do they sell the cheaper ones?

Quote Originally Posted by mbr_rainman View Post
    Have been out of town for several days so just now came back into this. OK, OK, after reading all the comments and laughing my butt off at the bickering, I will take the best advice I saw and not do anything but leave things the way they are. Safety for the family is the best thing.
    Now, hope to get an answer to this without starting a new thread.

What is the difference in the $1.00 outlet and the $4.00 outlet that you buy at a hardware store? Are they both safe to install? If there is a safety issue, why do they sell the cheaper ones?
    No safety issue as they both will pass UL & CES standards.
    But the three dollar device will be a better built product.
    If the said device will be used heavily, the better built device would be the proper choice.
    But say an general purpose outlet in the attic, very handy but hardly ever used, the one dollar device would be an OK choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mbr_rainman View Post
    What is the difference in the $1.00 outlet and the $4.00 outlet that you buy at a hardware store?
    The difference would be $3.00.

Oh yeah...the cheap outlets are only rated at 15-amps, also. Kitchen countertop outlets, washer/dryer outlets, etc should carry a 20-amp rating.
    HTH

Dave

Thumbs up Re: GFI breaker to an outlet?

I represent a manufacture that makes manufactured wiring systems. We use only spec grade outlets only from one manufacture (hubble) as the others lower priced ones fail over time. Our test includes hi pot and cheaper outlets just blow out. Although all outlets are tested to meet UL specs ( cord pull test, voltage, and amp load). In my old home what I found was the cheap outlets over time will not hold the cord in the blades as they age. A engineers office i visited had a cut away of all the duplex outlets on his wall and internally there was huge difference on metal thickness of the blades. I use the three dollar ones. my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Dave357 View Post
    The difference would be $3.00.

Oh yeah...the cheap outlets are only rated at 15-amps, also. Kitchen countertop outlets, washer/dryer outlets, etc should carry a 20-amp rating.
    True, but then the outlet would carry a different configuration
    Washer outlets will be single outlets, and dryers will be single 240v outlets.